VMware Cloud Community
chrisoxy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCAC 6.0.1.1 upgrade - now "iaas-service" is "blank" intead of "registered."

I updated to 6.0.1.1 per VMware instructions -> sso -> vcac appliance. After I did that the "iaas-service" shows as "failed." I tried multiple reboots of the iaas server and appliances. Nothing worked. I then read about the 6.0 sp1 patch. I applied it, got some sort of certificate error, and now the iaas-service shows as "blank."

Anyone have any ideas?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
AlokShrivastwa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

I would suggest a re-register of IaaS service, effectively in order to do that

Please follow

Step 1: vCloud Automation Center Documentation

and

Step 2: vCloud Automation Center Documentation

once you finish the second link (registering, wapi, endpoint, etc )- you should see the iaas-service pop up after a reboot of the appliance

0 Kudos
chrisoxy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The message is back to "failed" from blank. I see this in one of the logs:

https://servername.domain.com/wapi/api/status there was an error connecting to the repository.false FAiled iaas-service.

Probably not much help. I'm still waiting on a call back from support.

0 Kudos
AlokShrivastwa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Awesome - So we went back to failed

Some Questions

1. Are we by chance using Wild Card Certificates ? - Th ese dont play well with the Win2012

2. Are we using Distributed installation (or a different name to access the vcac iaas other than the servers hostname ) - If so, please ensure the loopback check of IIS is disabled

Anycase, here are the troubleshooting steps

Access the URL

https://<ip/name of vcac iaas web server>/Repository/Data/ManagementModelEntities.svc

Check if you are able to get an XML - Only then proceed to next step (if not, please restart the IIS application pools, check the users and check the DB connection string setting )

If it is accessible, please open the AppSettings for /VCAC (Under default website - or where ever you have installed) and check the repositoryAddress. - this address should be correct. - Please ensure that value of the repository in appsettings should be accessible by the server and should not give a certificate issue.

Once you have checked that please check the same for /WAPI in the default website

Go to the

https://<ip/name of vcac iaas web server>/vCAC

you should get the banner on top saying your account is not authorized - This means every thing is ok - Restart the vCAC appliance service and the iaas should now be registered (If not follow the step 2 in my previous post)

If the repository is not functional as desribed above, please look at the event logs in the server where the repository is installed

chrisoxy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply. After entering the url I get this:

certificate is not trusted (remtoecertificatechainerrors). Subject: cn=vcacappliancename.domani.com, ou= etc...

So, looks like my certs between vcac appliance and iaas server are out of sync?

AlokShrivastwa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You mean the https://iaas-webserver/repository/data/managementmodelentities.svc ?

Also the cert error shows the Vcac-VA name ? You will have to generate a certificate for the IaaS appliance itself

0 Kudos
chrisoxy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok I fixed the issue. I had to run the following command to update the cert of the vcac appliance on the iaas windows server:

vcac-config.exe updateservercertificates -d vcac_database -s sql_database_server -v

Thanks!

p.s. Is it possible to cut/paste on this forum? I haven't been able to for some reason.

AlokShrivastwa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Awesome - I thought you had already done that - That was step 1 in my original post

--------------------------

Hello,

I would suggest a re-register of IaaS service, effectively in order to do that

Please follow

Step 1: vCloud Automation Center Documentation

-----------------------------

Thanks,

Alok

HTH

0 Kudos
svenherren
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

i've got the same problem with vCO. After upgrade it is blank instead of "REGISTERED". How can I re-register it?

Anyone any ideas

Tnaks

0 Kudos
chrisoxy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Alok, yes, well, when I clicked the link it just took me to the font page of the vCAC 6 documentation. I guess I didn't know exactly what I was looking for.

svenherren, try and reboot the vcac appliance then give it some time. I think mine reverted back to "failed" after a few minutes. I don't remember exactly what I did.

If it goes back to fail try the command I provided above. Google the command to find the folder path to the vcac-config.exe command. I can't remember where it is.

0 Kudos
svenherren
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi chrisoxy

Unfortunately your solution (reboot and command) didn't help. vCO is still blank instead of Registered. Any clues how to re-register it?

Thanks

Sven

0 Kudos
AlokShrivastwa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

svenherren wrote:

Hi chrisoxy

Unfortunately your solution (reboot and command) didn't help. vCO is still blank instead of Registered. Any clues how to re-register it?

Thanks

Sven

Sven "VCO" is unregistered ? - This thread is for iaas-service

0 Kudos
chrisoxy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry, I'm not really sure then. Honestly, I think I had to revert back to a previous snapshot I took before upgrading.

If you don't have a snapshot available I would open a case with VMware if possible.

0 Kudos
beefy147
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

this still breaks in vRA 6.2

the automation software has to be the most clunky and difficult install ive ever come across. why is it so painful!?

0 Kudos
beefy147
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I followed all the steps to re-register the iaas-service and its still blank. any idea what i might be doing wrong?

I have updated IIS certificate. restarted IIS and run commands to update that to the vRA appliance and restarted that

still blank. I must be doing some steps wrong

Do i need to update the vRA appliance and or the identity appliance certs as well??

0 Kudos
beefy147
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

does anyone have any ideas on how else i can get the iaas-service and vco to show up as REGISTERED?

0 Kudos
wlanzelotti
Contributor
Contributor

The same problem happened after updating the certificate of vCloud Components.

There is an error in the documentation."vRealize Automation 6.2 Documentation Center"

"Update the vRealize Appliance with the IaaS Certificate"

2 - Register the endpoint address is applicable IaaS components using a command of this form:

vcac-setup.exe RegisterEndpoint --EndpointAddress https: // <CVCA server hostname> -v. It is not the address of the Vcac is the own iaas server.

Correct: vcac-setup.exe RegisterEndpoint --EndpointAddress https: // <IAAS server hostname> -v

0 Kudos