VMware Cloud Community
YevB
Contributor
Contributor

vCAC 5.2 - Changing Network Profile with workflow

Greetings,

I'm trying to change network profile in the WFS Building workflow.

I'm trying to change the property VirtualMachine.network0.ProfileName. If I set it at properties tab in the blueprint it works. But for some reason when I try to change it in the workflow, It run successfully but nothing changes.

Anyone have any idea?

Best regards,

Yev Berman.

7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hmm, I thought you managed to solve that one.

Try VirtualMachine.Network0.ProfileName ( With Capital N for Network, its CASE SENSITIVE)

Let me know if that worked for you.

0 Kudos
YevB
Contributor
Contributor

Didn't work.

I read some article that says that there is no way to change the network profile with workflow because the system sets the network profile after the building machine workflow  or something like that.

0 Kudos
christianpg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How did you modify VirtualMachine.Network0.ProfileName in your custom activity?

Are you sure that your modification is stored server-side?

0 Kudos
YevB
Contributor
Contributor

In the blueprint's properties added new value. VirtualMachine.Network0.ProfileName and the value is one of the network profiles..

0 Kudos
d-fens
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The reason for this is that at this point in time during provisioning the allcoation of resources already has taken place. Yo even when you change the property its changes will not be reflected.

Instead you can change the reservation manually on your own via the ManagementModelEntities.svc ManagemetnContext. On the Machine object you would actually change the links in 'StaticIPV4Addresses' and possibly the 'VMToNetworks' as well. But do not forget to mark the previous addresses as 'free' after the change. I have implemented this with other customers and though it is a little bit of coding it is doable.

Regards,

Ronald

Ronald Rink d-fens GmbH
iLyaLozovyy
Contributor
Contributor

YevB,  When you're talking about the workflow are you doing it in the vCO workflow or the .NET workflow that you can hook up in vCAC?

You should be able to make these adjustments using one of the .NET Provisioning workflows before the system goes into the CloneVM state.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

+1 to ronalds comment, allocation happens before any workflow injection points, there are talks about adding an injection point before allocation for reasons like this and also reservation policies.

0 Kudos