VMware Cloud Community
Sany_1973
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When VM deployment check the reservation

If we need to create a event broker for reservation,What stage VM provision check the reservation and confirm there is enough resources?

5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You don't need to, that's done already for you automatically in the Allocation phase. That's the whole point of reservations is so you don't have to manually create logic to determine capacity.

0 Kudos
Sany_1973
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Trying to create a event broker to increase the reservation, if the the reservation is not enough.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

That's not how vRA works and is antithesis to the whole idea of cloud provisioning. Reservations exist to be capacity gates. When you automatically increase a reservation that runs out of capacity, there becomes no point in a reservation. It's like a paper wall.

0 Kudos
Sany_1973
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Are you saying that it is not doable or it is not a good practice?

I just don't want to fail the user's vm requests due to reservation amounts....also I don't want to allocate the maximum available to a reservation.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

There's probably a way, but the EBS cannot do that because the allocation happens before EBS runs. But what I'm saying regardless is it's not a good practice and you shouldn't do it. If a user's request fails because of reservation capacity, then there needs to be a business discussion around why reservations are configured the way they are and if an additional purchase of resources is necessary. The answer shouldn't be to just blindly increase the reservation. Again, if you're trying to do this, then you're using vRA in the wrong way.