VMware Cloud Community
bczerkiewicz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

[VRA 7.3] t-shirt sizing isn't applying storage size

Hello everyone,

This is my first post so excuse me if i'm missing some information or if i'm not posting in the right place.

Environment:

• Single VRA 7.3 deployed as appliance with VRO embedded
  • 2 endpoints = 2 linked vCenter on two different geographic place (US/EMEA)

• Blueprint for all OS created and working fine (workflow point of view)
  • Blueprints not associated to any reservations since it would be overriden by location and size at request
  • Changed the datacenter file on the IAAS server and associated each resource group to a location
    • Ability to select a location on the request is working fine

Issue:

I created 4 values for the component profile "size" (small, medium, large, xlarge). I assigned this profile to each blueprint and assigned the small value as default.

No matter which profile i select during the request, it will always resize the memory and CPU but not the disk.

From reading here and there, i kind of understand that to resize at the OS level, it needs to be done through a script (is it right?) but it's not even changing the size at the VM level.

Does someone have any input ? anywhere to start looking ?

Thank you in advance,

Benjamin.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It doesn't actually apply that size to the deployed system (it seems like it should) but rather sets whatever value you specified in the image profile as the upper boundary for future reconfigure actions. So if I create a Medium profile that says storage = 60 and my blueprint has a disk 10 GB in size, when the system is deployed I have latitude to reconfigure to add up to another 50 GB if I want. And BTW, the storage size in the selected image profile overrides whatever maximum you specified in the machine component for your blueprint.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It doesn't actually apply that size to the deployed system (it seems like it should) but rather sets whatever value you specified in the image profile as the upper boundary for future reconfigure actions. So if I create a Medium profile that says storage = 60 and my blueprint has a disk 10 GB in size, when the system is deployed I have latitude to reconfigure to add up to another 50 GB if I want. And BTW, the storage size in the selected image profile overrides whatever maximum you specified in the machine component for your blueprint.

0 Kudos
bczerkiewicz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello daphnissov,

Thank you for your reply, it's very useful information!

However, is it the expected behavior ?

It's surprising that it's resizing the memory and the CPU but not the storage - if it was expected then why resizing the others.

Again, thank you for your time on it.

Regards,

Benjamin.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, this is intended behavior because of the various permutations in which storage can assume. CPU and memory are straightforward as there's only one parameter and configuration for them, but there could be multiple drives in the template, some specified in the blueprint, etc.

0 Kudos
bczerkiewicz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank you daphnissov.

I'm a bit disappointed by this feature.. it should resize the storage accordingly or at least provide an option to do so..

Would it be possible through vRO or other method to actually resize the storage?

I created templates with only 1 HDD to be able to resize accordingly.

Thanks,

Benjamin.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's just a reality of how vCenter clones from template. There's no resizing of existing disks possible when you deploy from a clone; you can only do that after. You could do something custom with vRO, but it probably would involve your own custom code as replacement for component profiles.

0 Kudos
bczerkiewicz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

On the vCenter when deploying from template you can select "Customize this VM hardware" and resize the RAM/CPU/HDD accordingly.

It makes it less user friendly to ask the requester to change the size of the disk he needs.

0 Kudos