VMware Cloud Community
zimmi78
Contributor
Contributor

Unmanagable VMs in Item list

Hi

I have VMs in the item list that are not manageable. How can I fix this?

unmanagable vms.jpg

All I can do is show the detail view.

This happened when I had to reconnect the compute resource because there were problems with the agent.

All Blueprints, Groups etc were gone after the reconnect but the vms stayed in the items list and are not manageable anymore.

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
cam00827
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar type of issue - 'Dead' VMs in the items list.  Did you find anyway that these can be removed?

0 Kudos
d-fens
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi zimmi78, you could import the existing machines to have them manageable again. Or you might try to send a 'destroy' to the machine via API (but this is just a suggestion where I am not really sure if that will work as the machines are not in a manageable state). Regards, Ronald

Ronald Rink d-fens GmbH
0 Kudos
sajal1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi, Zimmi78,

First are the VMs still in the back end infra? Did you try the following?

1. Try to "Request" Inventory Data Collection from the below link

Infrastructure --> Compute Resources --> Right Click --> Data Collection --> Inventory (Request Now)

By default the inventory data is collected once a day, unless if you have changed the settings

2. Restart the IaaS machine (or the services).

3. If the VMs are still there in the backend then you can try to manually delete them and when doing a Inventory data request it would update the data. At least you will get other stage from where you can destroy the vms.

I suppose the inventory data is not updated, please let me know if this solves the problems.

0 Kudos
zimmi78
Contributor
Contributor

I have both machines I want to manage again and machines I can delete and rebuild if necessary.

The only action I can perform on the unmanaged Items is "View Details", so delete from vCAC is not an option.

I tried the following for a VM I want to delete (vm1003)

1. Delete VM in VC

2. Restart IaaS Services (DEM, DEO, Agent and Server)

3. Request inventory scan in vCAC

Unfortunately the VM is still visible in vCAC.

I tried the following for a VM I'd like to manage again in vCAC (vm1007)

1. Run Infrastructure Organizer on the cluster

2. The machines were not available for import or update.

I had no luck so far to either delete a VM or regain managability.

0 Kudos
raz391
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem on vCAC 6.0.1.

0 Kudos