VMware Cloud Community
chinnaswamy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unable to delete Approval policies from vRealize automation 6.2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If any one know?...how to delete Approval policies from vRealize automation Center!!!!!!!!

Please help me out...

5 Replies
willonit
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

it is intentional that you cannot delete them. It was explained to me as a way of "version control". It is annoying but I put a version number in the names of the policies then copy one policy to create a new one with the next highest version number.

0 Kudos
GrantOrchardVMw
Commander
Commander

It's not version control per se, but more the concept that if an approval policy has been used then it needs to be available for audit purposes at a later date.

Hope that makes it clearer.

You can set a filter to only show active policies, and mark it inactive.

Grant

Grant http://grantorchard.com
SeanKohler
Expert
Expert

There should be an environment based option that allows one to decide whether or not it is a concern of theirs to audit approval policy... by way of policy implementation history. And that said, it would be something of merit to have implementation history auditing IF it actually provided full auditing value.

The current implementation of this non-delete practice only shows that there was a policy with a specific name which had some levels of approval and who changed the policy last (in which the means of change is only to set it to Inactive, which then cannot be set back to Active).  The history doesn't maintain where the policy was Linked within the Entitlements.  It isn't a valid record without information of where it was linked. Also, the history doesn't maintain any required change notes as to why it was set inactive.

To put a primary focus on auditing the Active/Inactive nature of a policy versus auditing the actual Approvals generated against a policy is a bit odd, IMHO.  Having a history of approval activities is more likely to be valuable to an audit than the ETERNAL presence of dead or mistakenly implemented approval policies.

On the flipside... it is just a list.  It can be filtered through Advanced Search. Life goes on....

AhmadZoubi
Contributor
Contributor

now I got an answer that makes sense Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Michael_Rudloff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

GrantOrchardVMware

But if audit is the reason you cannot remove them in 6.2 - why is it possible in 7 ?

___ My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com