VMware Cloud Community
pizzle85
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Remove orphaned provisioned custom resources

I have vRA Business Groups configured as a custom resource. I had provisioned some business groups which created vRA custom resource items. I manually deleted the business groups, which left the vRA custom resource items in the vRA GUI but removed the actual vRA business groups. How do i remove the orphaned custom resource item?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SeanKohler
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Easiest way is to create a Resource Action for the business group resource and point it at a workflow that takes BusinessGroup as an input and BusinessGroup as an output.  (it can just have a script task in it that makes out = in, syslogs, or whatever)  When you create the resource action, select the "Disposal" Type in the Resource Action Details.  Then entitle the Action to yourself and run the action on the resource.

I was trying to clean up our lab a bit, so I don't have the direct example for business groups as shown on the items tab... but this is basically what the action would look like...

removebg.jpg

removebg2.jpg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SeanKohler
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Easiest way is to create a Resource Action for the business group resource and point it at a workflow that takes BusinessGroup as an input and BusinessGroup as an output.  (it can just have a script task in it that makes out = in, syslogs, or whatever)  When you create the resource action, select the "Disposal" Type in the Resource Action Details.  Then entitle the Action to yourself and run the action on the resource.

I was trying to clean up our lab a bit, so I don't have the direct example for business groups as shown on the items tab... but this is basically what the action would look like...

removebg.jpg

removebg2.jpg

0 Kudos
SeanKohler
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

So I would add...

If you have a custom resource inventory item of type BusinessGroup... you could use the Disposal workflow to both remove the inventory item and delete the business group.

This is actually where I want to go in our environment, but I need to sell some concepts first.  Smiley Happy  I created a suite of business group/entitlement/reservation workflows that are primed for Business Group as a Service.

0 Kudos
pizzle85
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

thanks for that!

0 Kudos
pizzle85
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks Sean, we have vRA as a Service set up and running. Users log into vRA and can select a blueprint that sets them up in vRA as customers in our Tenant. I also have a remove service workflow that does just what you describe. I just had some orphaned business groups and forgot how to remove them...

0 Kudos
SeanKohler
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Excellent!  It is good to hear your practices and experiences.  Thanks!

0 Kudos