VMware Cloud Community
mapdeep
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Property Dictionary to add userinput

Hi

Is there any way to create a property that will dynamically asks the user input based on the drop down selection

For example i have created a property which will ask the user to select the type of application(APP,DB,WEB,OTHER) from the drop down while requesting the vm from the catalog and i am using these values to create a naming convention

If the user selects OTHER from the drop down it should prompt the user for the value and for rest(APP,DB,WEB) it should takes the name as value.

pd1.PNG

pd2.PNG

pd3.PNG

Regards,

Deepak

5 Replies
stvkpln
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'm going to assume you're using vCO to build your naming convention logic... The way I'd do it would be to have an available field for use with other, and have vCO ignore that value if the input value for field #1 isn't "Other". Should be simple if / else logic.

-Steve
mapdeep
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes i am using VCO cor customizing the naming convention. But what i want to see is if user selects OTHER from the drop down VCAC should prompt user for the value which is used for naming convention. where as in the above case if user selects OTHER it will provision the vm with the name OTHER.

Thanks,

Deepak

0 Kudos
chrisheartland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's a good question and something I want to know also. To get around that, I did basiclaly what stvkpln said which is I have one dropdown and one text box. If the user selects a known application type from the drop down it uses that as the name. If they type something into the text box instead, it uses that.

zebduin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCAC is not that intelligent (yet).  All the drop down selection will do is apply the value of "other" to your custom property. The only way I can envision to get vCAC to do what you want would seem redundant to the portal consumer, you could use a relationship user control via property dictionary, set your parent property to Applications and child where(in the XML Expression) App = App, DB = DB, Web = Web and Other would have multiple drop down selections.

Then use the child custom property for the server name generator.

The other way would be Steve's recommendation and build logic through a building machine vCO WF.

Good luck.

-John

UberGeek1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you using vCO and the BuildMachine workflow?  If so, then check for "Other" in there and if the text box is empty, fail the build with a custom error message.

Sincerely, Jody L. Whitlock
0 Kudos