VMware Cloud Community
hawks76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Pass Payload to Software Component Property

Our Unix team has requested that we pass them the payload file so they can parse certain custom properties. I have created a custom property, added it to a property group that is applied to the blueprint, added a property to the software component, and binded it to the custom property on the blueprint. however, it passes a null or empty string. i have the custom property being populated at MachineRequested POST via event subscription. The data is there, but it just isn't passing it.  Any ideas?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Does it pass if you populate another custom property's value at PRE phase? Binding generally works fine for me, but I've not tested it by using an EBS to set the value of a CP and passing that into a software component property.

0 Kudos
hawks76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, other properties that are populated at the PRE phase pass fine.  I'm wondering if it has something to do with the length of the string being passed.  Every other property binding works just fine.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Did you try with a very simple string value instead?

0 Kudos
hawks76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Simple strings work fine.  I posted the JSON payload string into a character counter and it had over 13k characters.  I'm going to assume it's a limitation of the string field.  I've reached out to our VMWare guy to see if he can verify that is in fact the case.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Ok, if you're trying to pass that much into a binding property then it's probably a limitation of that payload data. I've never hit it myself as property binding isn't typically getting a full and complex JSON payload.

0 Kudos
vklinden
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your unix team can also get all of the properties from the guest agent file custom.properties which is already on the machine. Check in /usr/share/gugent
0 Kudos
hawks76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Took a look, and didn't see a custom.properties file. Saw gugent.properties and rungugent.properties but neither were the custom properties.  Is there a setting somewhere that maybe needs to be turned on to leave that file behind?

0 Kudos