VMware Cloud Community
tmactive
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Orchestrator Confusion

So, I'm trying to work my way through the setup here, and am very confused on how exactly you deploy Orchestrator properly. We will be doing a multi-tenant configuration in the long run if that makes a difference in the layout.

Inside VCAC, I see three places that reference Orchestrator:

1) Infrastructure Tab -> Endpoints

2) Administration Tab -> Advanced Services -> Server Configuration

3) Each Tenant's Admin Tab -> Advanced Services -> Server Configuration

First of all, what's the difference/use case here? Is one for external workflows and the other for fully vCAC managed workflows?

Initially I enabled the VCO embedded with the VCAC appliance, I then specified it to use an MSSQL instance, and it recreated the database there and all was well. I could see a large number of workflows like in the attached screenshot. I repeated this process on a standalone VCO appliance (using another dedicated database), and it worked just the same. I used my vCenter server license key to license the VCO instance.

Screen Shot 2014-03-25 at 3.22.03 PM.png

At some point though, a bunch of workflows got deleted as I tried the three configurations above, damn near all of them to be exact, and I'm thinking maybe this is a result of my current VCAC license level (Cloud Suite Advanced) or something of the sort. Now both the vCAC embedded VCO and the dedicated VCO appliance I deployed look like this:

Screen Shot 2014-03-25 at 3.30.07 PM.png

Is this intentional? When and where did this happen?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
tmactive
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I see that some of my questions were partially answered here: Difference between Advanced Services endpoint and Infrastructure Endpoint

However, what gives with my VCO workflows disappearing? I build a second VCO appliance and have it configured as both an IAAS endpoint and a XAAS endpoint, the workflows are still there for now.

0 Kudos
tmactive
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Further, I'm no Orchestrator guru, but it would appear that packages have been removed, though the plug-ins remain installed. I've exported and imported a vCenter package from another orchestrator box and now the workflows are back.

0 Kudos
tmactive
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This solution here: vCenter Orchestrator 5.5 has no vCenter workflow in library.

Seems to have fixed my Orchestrator workflow issue. The question is, how did this happen, and did vCAC cause it?

0 Kudos