VMware Cloud Community
tm19
Contributor
Contributor

Null child found template inventory

Hi,

I am trying to add a template into a blueprint for a new vcac deployment. The template doesnt appear in the list, and after an inventory scan I get:

Null child found in collectedObject ID in the log, I can deploy fine from this template in vcenter.

Has anyone come across this ?

Cheers

Thomas

0 Kudos
3 Replies
tmactive
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Confirmed same behavior here on 6.0.1.1 using vCNS integration as well.

0 Kudos
RonP_DND
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone figured out how to remedy this situation? I just deployed vRA 7.1 and am experiencing this exact same issue with a few templates... They just aren't being discovered via Data Collection... Not sure why :smileyshocked:

0 Kudos
RonP_DND
Contributor
Contributor

My mystery has been solved!!  For some odd reason, there was a virtual machine with the same name as the template in the "Discovered virtual machine" folder. I can assure you no one in my organization created this VM. Only part I remember doing was "Converting" the Template to a VM then powering it on to hopefully sync/stabilize the Inventory processes in both vRA and vCenter then re-converting back to template.

Here's another twist, the VM (with the same name as the Template), which was found in the "Discovered virtual machine" folder, only appeared once I restarted the virtual center instance!! After I deleted it, my problem was resolved.

I also discovered a few of the other missing Templates within that same folder were equally marked as "orphaned".  Once they were deleted as well, the original (valid) corresponding Templates were also re-discovered by the vRA Data Collection process....Odd indeed.

Anyway, figured I'd update in case anyone else experiences this same anomaly.

0 Kudos