VMware Cloud Community
CalmCloud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Manual User Action - Reject

Hi All,

A VCO workflow has "Manual User Interaction" object. I have a ASD workflow that calls this workflow.  When the workflow hits manual user action, an action shows up in vcac portal under inbox>Manual User Action. The action has "Cancel","Reject" and "Submit" button. When "Reject" the workflow "Fails". Is there anyway to disable "Reject" button?  The workflow should not fail. When the workflow is executed from VCO, manual user action does not have "Reject"

Any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
SeanKohler
Expert
Expert

I have two ideas... going to test...

0 Kudos
SeanKohler
Expert
Expert

Reject behaves as a Cancel Workflow for me.  Are you seeing the same?  That would be somewhat normal behavior.

Unfortunately, the simpler of the two ideas doesn't work with a workflow cancel...  simple bind of Exception path to User Interaction.  (which I assumed you tried, but wanted to test anyway)

The second may not prompt up into vRA Inbox.  (effectively, call a second workflow with a user interaction in it... which may cancel the workflow with the user action... but then return to the requesting workflow)  I am trying this now.

Other options might include try/catches in scripting objects...

0 Kudos
CalmCloud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You are correct. "Reject" behaves like cancel workflow.

I tried calling child workflow with user interaction same behavior i.e. behaves like cancel workflow

With script calling child workflow which has user interaction, the task does not appear in vRA portal

0 Kudos
SeanKohler
Expert
Expert

Yeah...  can also call it async and wait for workflow question to be answered... but it appears anything other than the main workflow called by vRA/ASD cannot present Manual User Action in Inbox.  And a reject on that workflow behaves as a cancel.  I am still thinking, but I am almost out of ideas I think.

userAction.jpg

0 Kudos
SeanKohler
Expert
Expert

Could you also explain why if you are kicking out for an Approval, you wouldn't want the workflow to cancel if the approval is rejected?  Is there a process workaround you could consider instead?

0 Kudos
CalmCloud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The flow is ASD calls Blueprint to create  vm. Then ASD loops through set number of times  ( with System.sleep() )  checking status of the blueprint. It breaks out of this loop when status == "STOPPED". When it comes out of the loop and status = "InProgress" then it took more time than set TLA. We want someone to look into this so user interaction object. It has happened sometimes due to network or storage issues build takes longer than usual.  There is not much in user interaction. It shows some basic VM configuration and then user to select either to continue or cancel the request.

0 Kudos
SeanKohler
Expert
Expert

Well... it is less than ideal, but you could do this...

Just tell them in the User Action to NOT click the Reject Button below.

You could also have a Managed "Reject" that passes back a value to be handled by the workflow (downstream cleanup or whatever)....

userAction2.jpg

0 Kudos
SeanKohler
Expert
Expert

In as few steps as possible because I have other work to do as well...  Smiley Happy I cannot figure out a way to HIDE the Reject button... or handle the situation if the Reject button is clicked.  It cancels the workflow entirely which is a bad state from a vRA Request perspective. (for what you are trying to do at least... I would usually want the reject to stop the workflow... but I think it would be better to pass a value back in so we can "handle the reject exception" more or less)

There may be options to have a Policy that watches for a workflow Cancel and then do something else.  (run another workflow.. rerun the workflow with variables)  I haven't gone down the policy-road very far yet.

0 Kudos
svenherren
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

did you find a solution yet, that the reject button does not cancel the workflow and that you can handle it in vRO workflow?

Same Problem here and it's annoying.

Regards

Sven

0 Kudos
CalmCloud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did not find out the soluation. I gave up on manual user action. We deleted waiting once manually by updating the DB.

0 Kudos