VMware Cloud Community
CalmCloud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Linux VM Build without DHCP

Hi All,

We have Linux VM Kickstart provisioning working in DHCP environment. Now need to build in non DHCP environment. One option is to build ISO for each request with ISO containing network identity( ip, gateway, dns etc). This means creating ISO and then uploading ISO to the datastore and attaching it to the VM during "building machine". Then clean up after the build. Is there a easier way to do it? Like attach generic ISO and provide network during run time.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
legioon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've worked about similar problem for a long time. Normally, you can not install linux with kictsrart without DHCP.

i have two options about this case ;

first option, mount iso to any location and make changes on isolinux.cfg file for installation with static IP. Then, burn iso as bootable. But, in this case you can install only one linux with same IP until installation completed.

Second option, create port group which has DHCP broadcast. on BuildingMachine State, call VCO workflow for change NIC with this port group, then before CustomizeOS call again VCO workflow for change NIC with normal port group you want to use. VM IP will change with lifecycle IP.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
legioon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've worked about similar problem for a long time. Normally, you can not install linux with kictsrart without DHCP.

i have two options about this case ;

first option, mount iso to any location and make changes on isolinux.cfg file for installation with static IP. Then, burn iso as bootable. But, in this case you can install only one linux with same IP until installation completed.

Second option, create port group which has DHCP broadcast. on BuildingMachine State, call VCO workflow for change NIC with this port group, then before CustomizeOS call again VCO workflow for change NIC with normal port group you want to use. VM IP will change with lifecycle IP.

0 Kudos