VMware Cloud Community
bugblatterbeast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ITBM Appliance missing vi

I downloaded the ITBM standard appliance OVA from my.vmware.com today and deployed it.  Part of the process (as documented in the manual) is to edit the ntp.conf to set your own time servers.  However, it appears that vi is not installed on the Appliance.  This is crazy and it's almost like VMware are trying to make life difficult for people.  Is there any specific reason vi isn't included (or nano for that matter)?

Danny

VCP4/5, VCP6-CMA, VCAP-DCA4/5, VCAP-CIA, AWS-CSA, CCNA, MCSE, MCSA
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Burke-
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'm not terribly sure why we don't have a basic editor like vi or nano on there. This actually came up recently in another thread. The suggested solution was:

They could use scp to copy a replacement, or just directly modify it with local utilities like sed or perl. The quickest method is perl and it would be (replace NTP_IP with that of their ntp source): test first with:

cat /etc/ntp.conf | perl -pi -e 's/^server(\D+).*/server\ [NTP_IP]/g'

and then issue the replace with(of course replace IP with appropriate address):

perl -pi -e 's/^server(\D+).*/server\ [NTP_IP]/g' /etc/ntp.conf ie: perl -pi -e 's/^server(\D+).*/server\ 192.168.110.10/g' /etc/ntp.conf

restart ntp with

/etc/init.d/ntp restart

If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points. Thank you!

Visit http://www.vcoteam.info & http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator
for vRealize Orchestrator tips and tutorials - @TechnicalValues on Twitter
bugblatterbeast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Getting around the issue wasn't a massive problem for me it just struck me as a bit odd and a bit of a pain in the provebial.  Thanks for the response though.

VCP4/5, VCP6-CMA, VCAP-DCA4/5, VCAP-CIA, AWS-CSA, CCNA, MCSE, MCSA
0 Kudos
paichayon
Contributor
Contributor

I use this way to put vi back to ITBM

Logon to TIBM console and  Run Command below:

###############

cd /etc

cp hosts.allow hosts.allow.org

echo sshd: ALL : ALLOW > hosts.allow

###############

After above step you can use putty or winscp to operate with ITBM.

And then

Use WinSCP copy vim-normal from /bin folder of VCAC appliance to local disk and transfer vim-normal to /bin folder on ITBM Appliance

Then Goto ITBM Console by Putty or Console an run command below:

##################

cd /bin

chmod +x vim-normal

mkdir /etc/alternatives

ln -s   /bin/vim-normal  /etc/alternatives/vim

ln -s  /etc/alternatives/vim vim

ln -s vim vi

#################

Have fun with VI on ITBM

0 Kudos