VMware Cloud Community
VirExprt
Expert
Expert

Error With Repository service

Hello ,

I am finding issues with Repository services and getting below error

Message: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. for Source as "DynamicOps Repository" and

System.Web.HttpUnhandledException (0x80004005): Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. ---> System.Data.Services.Client.DataServiceClientException: Error processing response stream. Server failed with following message:

An error occurred while processing this request.

at System.Data.Services.Client.Xml.XmlAtomErrorReader.Read()

at System.Xml.XmlSubtreeReader.Read()

at System.Xml.Linq.XContainer.ReadContentFrom(XmlReader r)

at System.Xml.Linq.XContainer.ReadContentFrom(XmlReader r, LoadOptions o)

at System.Xml.Linq.XElement.ReadElementFrom(XmlReader r, LoadOptions o)

at System.Xml.Linq.XElement.Load(XmlReader reader, LoadOptions options)

at System.Data.Services.Client.AtomParser.XElementBuilderCallback(XmlReader reader)

at System.Data.Services.Client.AtomParser.ParseCurrentEntry(AtomEntry& targetEntry)

at System.Data.Services.Client.AtomParser.Read()

at System.Data.Services.Client.AtomMaterializer.Read()

at System.Data.Services.Client.MaterializeAtom.MoveNextInternal()

at System.Data.Services.Client.MaterializeAtom.MoveNext()

at System.Linq.Enumerable.<CastIterator>d__b1`1.MoveNext()

at System.Collections.Generic.List`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection)

at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)

at DynamicOps.Web.Leases.ConfirmNewRequest.InitLocation()

at DynamicOps.Web.Leases.ConfirmNewRequest.RequestFormInit()

at DynamicOps.Web.Leases.ConfirmNewRequest.OnInit(EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)

at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()

at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

INNER EXCEPTION: System.Data.Services.Client.DataServiceClientException: Error processing response stream. Server failed with following message:

An error occurred while processing this request.

at System.Data.Services.Client.Xml.XmlAtomErrorReader.Read()

at System.Xml.XmlSubtreeReader.Read()

at System.Xml.Linq.XContainer.ReadContentFrom(XmlReader r)

at System.Xml.Linq.XContainer.ReadContentFrom(XmlReader r, LoadOptions o)

at System.Xml.Linq.XElement.ReadElementFrom(XmlReader r, LoadOptions o)

at System.Xml.Linq.XElement.Load(XmlReader reader, LoadOptions options)

at System.Data.Services.Client.AtomParser.XElementBuilderCallback(XmlReader reader)

at System.Data.Services.Client.AtomParser.ParseCurrentEntry(AtomEntry& targetEntry)

at System.Data.Services.Client.AtomParser.Read()

at System.Data.Services.Client.AtomMaterializer.Read()

at System.Data.Services.Client.MaterializeAtom.MoveNextInternal()

at System.Data.Services.Client.MaterializeAtom.MoveNext()

at System.Linq.Enumerable.<CastIterator>d__b1`1.MoveNext()

at System.Collections.Generic.List`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection)

at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)

at DynamicOps.Web.Leases.ConfirmNewRequest.InitLocation()

at DynamicOps.Web.Leases.ConfirmNewRequest.RequestFormInit()

at DynamicOps.Web.Leases.ConfirmNewRequest.OnInit(EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer)

From source as "DynamicOps DEM"

It has starting coming suddenly however checked logs for DEM / Manager service & agent logs looks fine and are communicating.

Please help me understand how and where the issue has come & how can i fix it.

Thanks

Br,

MG

Regards, MG
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
VirExprt
Expert
Expert

it is surprising to me... i last night edited Location XML and selected specific location to the respective compute Resource. I figured out that location selection was giving the error. Once disabled Location from compute resource, these errors were gone.

Is the a real issues or there are some configuration issues which i did.

Please help

Br,

MG

Regards, MG
0 Kudos
zebduin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The Object reference not set to an instance of an object error typically means there is a mismatch between the vCenter DB and the vCAC DB.  For instance the error might manifest itself in an data collection (Inventory) failure.

Generally this mismatch occurs when a resource (network or datastore) has been selected for use in a vCAC resource pool, the resource is then renamed or removed, but since the record is locked  (since its in use) on vCAC it can report the mismatch.

I experienced this error this week - it was related to a vCenter resource pool that had at one point existed and had since been removed,  vCAC was throwing the error and the daily inventory was reporting a failure.

For this fix, I located the errant fields in a table in the vCAC DB and used a delete from SQL query to remove after (1) taking a SQL db backup and (2) validating the reservation no longer existed in vCenter.

error1.png

From this error log (manager service log) I suspected the issue was with the ResourcePool.  In my case I had to delete the fields from dbo.ResourcePool.

I would first start by ensuring selected resources in your virtual reservations (Networks, datastroes were not renamed or deleted)  then look through the logs to try to determine the root of the issue.  Check your data collection status to see if the error is causing a failure

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This is a known bug and compatibility issue with .NET Framework 4.5.  A hotfix was issued for 5.2, support should be able to help you, this error message is very familiar.

If you're running 5.1 you could revert to .NET 4.0 since 4.5 was not required in this release.

d-fens
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There is a bug with vCAC 5.2 that might look like what you described. When you have identical names of "compute resources" across different vCenters (Agents) you might run into exactly that problem. HF4 does not seem to help, but renaming the duplicate entries to sth different and then cleaning up the duplicate entries within the DB might do the trick.

Ronald Rink d-fens GmbH