VMware Cloud Community
mkaetm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Custom properties in vRA 8.x

Hello,

We are currently planning the transition from vRA and vRO 7.6 to 8.x.

According to the transition guide to vRA 8.x custom properties like VirtualMachine.Software%.Name and VirtualMachine.Software%.ScriptPath are not supported for migration.

Does that also mean they are ENTIRELY not supported in vRA 8.x or are they just not covered during the migration?

I am asking because we rely on these two properties to do a bunch of things like:

• Automatic configuration of non-supported Debian-based linux distributions like Plain Debian, russian Astra Linux and Industrial OS (a Debian-based distribution by Siemens) and AD Integration on Linux via script
  • Installation of small toolsets in Windows 

Next question would be what a brownfield migration actually is. The transition guide mentions the word, but does not give further explanations. 

Thanks.

Br,

Matthias

0 Kudos
5 Replies
carl1
Expert
Expert

These properties are part of the Custom Resources mechanism in 7.6, which does not exist in 8.  That is, vRA 8 will not automatically run scripts for you.  If you want this to work again, you will need to do it your self in vRO or ABX.

Carl L.

mkaetm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Too bad, but then I will probably need to set up ABX. 

0 Kudos
mkaetm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

One last question: 

If I understand the architecture of vRA 8 correctly there is no more Windows IaaS and MS SQL Server host required, right?

0 Kudos
xian_
Expert
Expert

Correct. You can have a single appliance or a 3 node HA cluster (Photon OS).

DB is running on the same appliance(s). IaaS functionality integrated.

0 Kudos
mkaetm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok. Could imagine it, because I saw it was not mentioned in the transition guide. 

Good to know that :). 

Helps us also to save MS SQL server licensing costs.

0 Kudos