VMware Cloud Community
SASVenus
Contributor
Contributor

Create requestable services in vCAC

Hello folks,

So far, we have created a few blueprints to help provision VM's but I'm not sure we can create blueprints for requesting services.

Ex: a blueprint for a service such as email (for a new employee)

or   a blueprint to define small/medium/large deployment definition for the email service

Can anything like this be done in vCAC? Is the above supported OOTB or does it needs customization?

If yes, can we achieve this in Designer or does it needs the additional development kit module?

thanks for your help..

SK

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

As far as I know, current services are infrastructure/machine lifecycle based.  The request process explicitly uses the compute resource to allocate the reservation of the infrastructure.  There may be new services or services management components at some point but this would be nearly completely custom and very difficult using simply the designer to accomplish a non machine service lifecycle with the out of the box product.

JKougoulos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Technically you could do this, not sure though how you would license vCAC, and things get a bit complicated regarding reservations, hosts etc because you have to tie these services to a dummy VM, a dummy host, a dummy reservation etc.

I think you could do this only with the designer.

It would look nice if you could tie this to a VM eg a desktop vm and execute a custom workflow during provisioning.

0 Kudos
vmmeup
Expert
Expert

This is possible with the CDK.  The are a number of organizations doing what you are looking for.....email as a service, storage as a service, even terminal services as a service.

Sid Smith ----- VCP, VTSP, CCNA, CCA(Xen Server), MCTS Hyper-V & SCVMM08 [http://www.dailyhypervisor.com] - Don't forget to award points for correct and helpful answers. 😉
0 Kudos