VMware Cloud Community
cegjd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Controlling Machine Resource

Is there a way I can set the machine resources when im creating blueprints based on NetApp-FlexClone - Templates

Or will the amount of RAM always be picked up from the template ? and therefore I need a template for my normal instance (2xCPU and 3GB RAM) and another template for a Lite instance (1xCPU and 1GB RAM)

I have tried specifying a custom property: VirtualMachine.Memory.Size but it made no difference. I cant change what the blueprint states as it changes back again so presumably the template overwrites nay value?

I don't have Advanced Services either

Thanks

Jon

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nubronco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

cegjd - vRA/vCAC sets the minimum CPU/Memory to the size of the vCenter template you are pointing the blueprint to. You can't set the values lower than the template is configured for. If you want it lower you will need to lower the templates resources.

An separate note on this, make sure you set the CPU count to 1 if you will allow users to select how many CPUs they want.If you set it to 2 and try to build a VM with vRA and you select an odd number of CPUs the build will fail. We found this out the hard way and stumped us for a day.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
GrantOrchardVMw
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

You certainly should be able to define a range per this screenshot.

Grant

pastedImage_0.png

Grant http://grantorchard.com
cegjd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Grant

Thanks for the response

If i choose the template to clone from then that sets the values. If edit the field then as soon as i click away from that field it reverts unfortunately. I was wondering if i could override it anywhere

Ive just tested and it allows me to add more resource but not to decrease. Maybe that's the key. I will try adding more and see if the VM creates with more. If it does then I will lower the spec of my template to run at the minimum, then create multiple blueprints to increase it for each instance

unless anyone knows an easier way i.e. a custome property

thanks

jon

0 Kudos
nubronco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

cegjd - vRA/vCAC sets the minimum CPU/Memory to the size of the vCenter template you are pointing the blueprint to. You can't set the values lower than the template is configured for. If you want it lower you will need to lower the templates resources.

An separate note on this, make sure you set the CPU count to 1 if you will allow users to select how many CPUs they want.If you set it to 2 and try to build a VM with vRA and you select an odd number of CPUs the build will fail. We found this out the hard way and stumped us for a day.

0 Kudos
cegjd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response. I should have updated ths ticket, yes i also found that leaving the templates as the minimum "Lite" version does teh trick.

Now i need to work out if i can have multiple networks (in vRAC and vCenter) and assign any of them in the blueprint or whether the template dictates that too. I will be back no doubt !

0 Kudos