VMware Cloud Community
cegjd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Change the subnet on Network Profile

Hello

Like an idiot I've created 3 network profiles and paths using /16 subnets when they should have been /24. I'm now being asked to open up firewall rules to route between these and other VLANs in /24 subnets. As its /16 and the first two parts are identical i.e. 10.2.X.X they wont route via the firewall

The current VMs I can just go to manually and change the subnet assigned to the NIC and they work.

When I look a the network profile to try and change the subnet - it is greyed out

Is there any way I can change this manually ? so that new VMs are created with /24 subnet, and exisiting VMs I can manually change

Or is the only way to delete the network profile and start again. How will this affect the current VMs other than vRAC may try and assign an IP already in use ?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You could try to update the database

Find the profile name

SELECT * FROM StaticIPv4NetworkProfile

update the profile name

update dbo.StaticIPv4NetworkProfile

set SubnetMaskIPv4 = '255.255.255.0' where StaticIPv4NetworkProfileName = 'YOUR NETWORK PROFILE'

Open the database up in SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio) and run the SQL query when connected to your vRA database. It's unsupported but most probably will fix your issue.

Or if you are not happy to do this direct via the database, you could try using the vRA vRO plugin and call the vCACEntityManager and update the StaticIPv4NetworkProfiles entity. My guess is the direct database update would be easier, but please take a backup and only update the field and nothing else.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You could try to update the database

Find the profile name

SELECT * FROM StaticIPv4NetworkProfile

update the profile name

update dbo.StaticIPv4NetworkProfile

set SubnetMaskIPv4 = '255.255.255.0' where StaticIPv4NetworkProfileName = 'YOUR NETWORK PROFILE'

Open the database up in SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio) and run the SQL query when connected to your vRA database. It's unsupported but most probably will fix your issue.

Or if you are not happy to do this direct via the database, you could try using the vRA vRO plugin and call the vCACEntityManager and update the StaticIPv4NetworkProfiles entity. My guess is the direct database update would be easier, but please take a backup and only update the field and nothing else.

0 Kudos
cegjd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

excellent, thankyou

0 Kudos