VMware {code} Community
JonnyL831
Contributor
Contributor

Which VMware Tools version required

What's the "official" decree about which VMware Tools version is required for VIX. Seems some VIX functions (such as VMLoginInGuest) will run only in VMware Tools version 4.0. For instance, I had a Linux VM with VMware tools v3.5 installed. Running a test (Perl) script got to the point where I called VMLoginInGuest -- I received the error:

Authentication failure or insufficient permissions in guest operating system(3015)

I upgrade the VMware tools version on the target VM and the above worked (as did the rest of my test script).

I read somewhere that there is a version 3.2 or something of VMware tools that supports VIX? Is this true? Is there a resource (web page) somewhere that explains the various versions of ESX, VMware tools, VIX, and/or perhaps a compatability matrix? If not, someone there at VMware should make one...

Another thing, when I use the Perl vSphere API to get a VM View, if I look in the config.about section, I see a property "toolsVersion". Some examples of values I see are:

7304 (vmware tools v3.5 )

8194 (this is the one where I installed vmware tools v4.0)

How do these correlate to vmware tools versions?

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
0 Replies