VMware Cloud Community
aiea96701
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

can not use alphanumeric for user name

I am trying to create a new user in our standalone ESXi3.5 host.   I have discovered that I can not use an Alphanumeric entry....only alphabets.  is there a setting that I need to check to allow alphanumeric characters?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

This should work. Using mixed characters (lower and upper case) might not

Can you try with "user123" and see if that works?

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

You must be doing something wrong.  What is your definition of "alphanumeric"?  It's ONLY letters and numbers (no symbols).

Therefore mixed case letters and numbers ONLY.  I tried it on our 3.5 worked fine, I did different combinations.. the only thing that will NOT work is you MUST have a letter in position 1, a number cannot start the login.. 1XYZ134 is invalid.  xyz1234 is valid.

Spaces, and any symbol on the top row of a standard asci keyboard will not work...

0 Kudos
aiea96701
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

that worked.  Is there a limit to the number of characters?   I'm using 10 characters (abc12345ef)?  Or, is there a limit to the number of users?  I already have about 25 users in the list.

0 Kudos
aiea96701
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

correct...no special symbols being used and we start with a lower case letter.  10 characters.

0 Kudos