VMware Cloud Community
pinfisher
Contributor
Contributor

VMs all Invalid

Hello all,

I have googled around and found may other people havng problems with VMs that they copied over , added to inventory and then found that the VM was invalid and have repeated the steps that they performed with no results.

If I create a VM on the server it works fine. ANY VM I copy over and add to inventory shows up as invalid.

I can confirm the VM works fine in server and in player.

It is an Ubuntu 10.10 server install, VMWare tools are installed.

Does anyone have an suggestions other then recoping , renaming , deleting from inventory or similar?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

From where did you copy the VM? If you created the VM in VMware Workstation or Server the virtual hardware version will most likely be "7". ESX(i) 3.5 only supports hardware version "4". You may need the converter to "copy" the VMs in this case.

André

0 Kudos
pinfisher
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply. I checked in the .vmx file and you are correct the hw version is 7 .

I see the converter is to go from hardware to VM. ILl DL it and give it a go . Any tips?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You can use the Converter for P2V as well as for V2V. That should do the job.

André

0 Kudos
COS
Expert
Expert

Also, keep in mind, Intel and AMD platforms aren't compatable. They may seem to work but trust me, it's not working correctly. Ditto with different Intel Xeon proc's. Always do a V2V using vmware converter if any of those are in question.

0 Kudos