VMware Cloud Community
kenithg
Contributor
Contributor

Manipulating USB devices between virtual machines under ESXi

I am unable to locate a "removeable devices" section under ESXi. I have a Win 2003 virtual machine isolated on a seperate vswitch, NIC card and router. I am attempting to use a flash stick to move small amounts of software from an XP vm machine to the Win 2003 machine. I navigate to the XP machine insert the flash stick and copy the data. I then "safetly remove" the flash stick while connected to the XP machine, switch to the Win 2003 machine and reinsert the flast stick. (It was physically removed from the XP machine before switching.) The flash stick stubornly reconnects to the XP machine.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Ken

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

ESX does not support USB at all. You will need to find other ways to transfer information.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
kenithg
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the help. Hopefully a future release will address the USB issue.

Ken

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Not likely. The upcoming version doesn't either. You will need to find other ways to move data. If you are new to esxi you should have a look at some of the available webcasts. It will be a big help.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
kenithg
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the tip! I started with ESXi last Monday, the 13th, and have been surprised at how well it works and how well done the documentation is. I usually get the big points but miss the little ones, the ones that count, and shoot myself in the foot. Additionally, I have been surprised by the responsiveness of this site. You folks are doing a good job and a great service to we novices.

Ken

0 Kudos