VMware Cloud Community
sandya
Contributor
Contributor

Iscsi hardware initiator details --ESX 3i

Hi all,

I have the following requirement.

I need to find hardware initiator iscsi name used by ESX 3i server and also check whether it is using static discovery address or not.

I did research on software initiator.The details as follows:

1. cat /etc/initiatorname.vmkiscsi

GenerateName=yes

InitiatorName=iqn.1998-01.com.vmware:siml2qa1950-a2-69ce540a

Discovery address;

#cat /etc/vmkiscsi.conf

OutgoingUsername="iqn.1998-01.com.vmware:siml2qa1950-a2-69ce540a"

OutgoingPassword="content"

DiscoveryAddress=155.35.7.202:3260

Can u please calrify me two things.If we are using hardware iscsi whether they will use the above same two configuration files.If it is the case how to differntiate which one is software initiator name.

I dont have any setup to check hardware iscsi details.If some one configured on their box can u pls give me this details.

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The only hardware HBAs supported are Qlogic. You would config them through the BIOS interface (Hit Ctrl Q when prompted in BIOS startup) you should be able to get all your setting here. Unfortunatly this means a reboot.

kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Use esxcfg-hwiscsi -l to display hw iscsi configuration.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
sandya
Contributor
Contributor

thanks to all of u for your replies.

In my project i have a requirement to check static discovery address are not used by hardware iscsi storage.So for that first of all i need to check whether any hardware iscsi storage in use.This can be done by esxcfg-hwiscsi.But for that initiator name is required.But i dont have an idea,from where exactly i will get this name.So i need information of configuration files where this actually information stored.

0 Kudos
ShanVMLand
Expert
Expert

Is that not appearing on "Configuration==> Storage Adapter"?

Try this file, I am not sure -= /etc/vmware/esx.conf (DONT MAKE ANY CHANGES ON THIS FILE, Main configuration file for ESX)

Shan

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
sandya
Contributor
Contributor

no,only it shows iscsi software adapter.I think we need to configure/set up hardware initiator first.To visible from VI cleint.

0 Kudos
ShanVMLand
Expert
Expert

Obiviously, you need to configure the hardware initiator first. (No idea what are you trying to do) Hardware HBA has to be inserted on your ESX host. HW HBA iSCSI supported by QLogic (someone mentioned this in the previous post)

Shan

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

In the storage adapter section of your esx configuration, you should see a list of all of your storage adapters. Use that name.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
sandya
Contributor
Contributor

If we configured hardware iscsi storage whether it storage information in /etc/vmkiscsi.conf and /etc/initiatorname.vmkiscsi files. Some different location.(As per few comments given before it is bios file,other than bios can we get information from / file system).

0 Kudos
ShanVMLand
Expert
Expert

Both of files will hold information of Software iSCSI details. I dont think so that, Hardware iSCSI will store the information in any file.

esxcfg-hwiscsi -q

You can get some information about HW iSCSI HBA

Shan

0 Kudos
sandya
Contributor
Contributor

To use esxcfg-hwiscsi we required information of h/w iscsi initiator name right.I am not able to find that information.If i get name atleat i can proceed further

0 Kudos