VMware Cloud Community
lidocaineus
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting <disk>-000001-000001.vmdk and delta files after snapshots now

I manually moved a VM from one esxi server to another. However it looks like there was a snapshot taken at some point prior to the move, so in the .vmx file it shows the filename as -000001.vmdk file is as big as the original -flat.vmdk file now.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
js-hacki
Contributor
Contributor

do you still have your source vm?

if you copy your vm manually, you should delete all your snapshots and copy the vmdk files with the vmkfstool in order not to blow up your flat file.

copy with vmkfstools

if not, you could try to copy the 0001 snapshot with vmkfstools to a new directory and try to run your machine.

0 Kudos
a2alpha
Expert
Expert

I would make sure all the vmdk and the delta vmdk files are all in the same directory on the one host. Then on the host it is registered on open snapshot manager and create a snapshot. Wait for a few minutes then go back into snapshot manager and hopefully you'll see the new snapshot and the old one too. Hit delete all and that should combine them all. You might find the task times out but it should still running in the background. If it is a large vmdk maybe try leaving it overnight.

If the other snapshot doesn't show up check that all the original files are in the same directory as the snapshot info file might be missing.

0 Kudos