VMware Cloud Community
Virtual_Jazz
Contributor
Contributor

How to increase the size of your VM disk

Hi Guys,

We have a VM with 2 disks and we want to increase the size of disk e: from 100GB to 200GB. We are trying to do this from within vitual centre 2.5. It goes through the process and says operation completed successfully, but the size of the disk does not change. If we add a new disk onto that VM and then increase the size it works. We have enough space showing up on the datastores, so not quite sure what the problem is

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NWhiley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is the size of the disk not changing within VIC?

Have you checked the vmdk to see how big that actually is?

Does the VM have an active snapshot?

Neil VCP
0 Kudos
Virtual_Jazz
Contributor
Contributor

The size is not changing and I have checked th vmdk size and the size remians the same

Not sure what you mean by active snapshot, but I am not sure we have that enabled. How can I check that out. Like I say it is strange, because it works if I attached a new virtual disk and expand it, but not for an existing disk

0 Kudos
Virtual_Jazz
Contributor
Contributor

Ok you were right. I had to delete all snapshots to get it to work. How do you decrease the size though? same process?

0 Kudos
NWhiley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You have to be very careful when decreasing disk size, especially if it contains the OS.

I have found the best way to do this is to do a V2V migration and set the target disk to the size you want.

If it is a data drive, I normally present a new one of the size I want, migrate to it, then remove the original.

Neil VCP
0 Kudos