VMware Cloud Community
SilverSurfer1
Contributor
Contributor

How to backup and resore ESXi on a different hardware

Hello all,

I start to use the ESXi solution. I have 10 servers with different hardware SAS, SATA or SCSI controller. I would like to do an image of my ESXi server but if the server is broken I would like to be able to restore an image of the ESXi server on a different server with a different hardware.

During the ESXi install I don't need to add an addinionnal driver ( Tested on all servers). It seems that ESXi has all the good drivers on the install CD.

In this case it should be possible to restore an ESXi Image on a different hardware !

Is it possible and what is the process ?

Thanks for your help,

?:|

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Imaging ESX or ESXi systems is not an optimal use of your time. The time need for a fresh install is so short and the problems associated with imaging ESX(i) so annoying, that you best bet in the case of a fauilure is to perform a fresh install.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the forums,

Imaging an ESX(i) host is not recommended. As noted above it will take more time to get everything working than a clean install does. I would suggest doing a fullback of the VM's on a regular base and do a reinstall of ESXi when it will not boot anymore.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
SilverSurfer1
Contributor
Contributor

In fact we want to automatize the restoration process. It will be great to restore / migrate an ESXi machine with juste a clic on our Altiris console !!!

:smileyshocked:

0 Kudos
SilverSurfer1
Contributor
Contributor

Some idées ? :smileyblush:

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

As mentioned before you're probably better off doing a clean installation, especially with ESXi, the installation is very minimal. If you're licensing with at least Foundation, you can automate basic configurations using the RCLI as you would through a kickstart-like process. If you're looking to backup the most basic configuration of ESXi host and wanted to keep that for use with similar hardware, you can take a look at *esxcfg-cfgbackup/vicfg-cfgbackup8. A recent thread started here, take a look: http://communities.vmware.com//thread/206245?tstart=0

Again, using this backup/restore requires that you have at least the Foundation license for ESXi OR free version of ESXi 3.5u2/u3, will not work for U4. Remember to note this will only work for the same exactly hardware that you want to backup/restore in case you lose the system.

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
SilverSurfer1
Contributor
Contributor

Ok William !

Thanks to all !

Smiley Wink

0 Kudos