VMware Cloud Community
MasterCephus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Free ESXi 3.5 to infrastructure question

we have some new servers that I need to get out to production rather quickly, but our software is taking a little longer to obtain. Is it possible for me to install the free ESXi on the servers and when I get the software licenses for Infrastructure just change the license key on the box?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes, you can change the way your ESXi Host will be licensed. Just update your licensed features (ESX Server License Type by clicking on the edit... link and "assign a new license key to this host"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESXi is free, when you download the software you will be issued a license key that needs to be installed onto your ESXi Host.

maybe I don't understand the question?

0 Kudos
MasterCephus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Right. I'll get the free license key which I will use for the ESXi free. But when I order licenses for VMware infrastructure, can I go in and just change the license key to the new license key I will be given when I purchase infrastructure?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes, you can change the way your ESXi Host will be licensed. Just update your licensed features (ESX Server License Type by clicking on the edit... link and "assign a new license key to this host"

0 Kudos