VMware Cloud Community
s1xth
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

ESXi Licensing...

I have just started to use Vmware ESXi today and I have a question regarding the license for it. On the bottom of the license page it says: ", but is restricted to deployment on less than or equal to 2 CPUs.".....what do you mean by 2 CPU's? Does that mean I can use it on a dual quad core server and be able to use all eight cores?? Right now I have it installed and running on a single quad core system. When I applied my license serial number it said that I am licensed for 1 CPU.

I guess I am just confused, if anyone can explain further the licensing for ESXi I would appreciate it. I looked everywhere!

Thanks so much!

http://www.virtualizationimpact.com http://www.handsonvirtualization.com Twitter: @jfranconi
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes 2 CPU means 2 physical CPUs - so if you have a duel quad core cpu you will have 8 cores you can use - it indicates you are licensed for one CPU because that is all your using but you still have access yo all 4 cores - hope tha answers your question -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes 2 CPU means 2 physical CPUs - so if you have a duel quad core cpu you will have 8 cores you can use - it indicates you are licensed for one CPU because that is all your using but you still have access yo all 4 cores - hope tha answers your question -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
s1xth
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Exactly the answer to my question, I just was unsure of VMware's definition of 'CPU's', plus when I applied the license I was unsure of why it said Licensed for 1 CPU, but it does make sense, since I only have one SINGLE quad CPU, and I was assuming that it meant TWO PHYSICAL CPU's with 4 cores each.

Thanks for your help!!

http://www.virtualizationimpact.com http://www.handsonvirtualization.com Twitter: @jfranconi
0 Kudos
_Jester_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thats weird 'cause i'm using a dual-core but i still am getting 'Processor sockets: 1' and 'Processor cores per socket: 1'.... that is on the ESXi-free version (=Dell PowerEdge 850 with an Intel Dualcore 3Ghz and VMware Infrastructure Client). ?!

regards,

jester.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do you have ESXi licensed or still in demo mode? What specific model of CPU do you have?

0 Kudos
_Jester_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've inserted some screenprints below with the relevant information from the configuration tab in VM Infrastr. Client. If you need more info please tell me.

0 Kudos
VMKiwi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Looks to me like you have only one CPU - why do you think you have 2? That Pentium-D is a hyperthreading processor, not multicore and definately not capable of supporting dual CPU's on a motherboard

0 Kudos
_Jester_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've been in contact with Dell technical support and it has two cores but apparently no virtualisation support and thus will show up as one cpu (according to them). Weird thing is though when using vmware server on this machine i am sure i had assigned the cores to different virtual machines.....

Anyhow, thanx for the answers !!

jester.

0 Kudos
_Jester_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think it is still odd.... i temporarily installed CentOS linux and here is the output of dmesg about the number of cpu's (and at the end it says: 2 cpu's) :

Initializing CPU#0
CPU 0 irqstacks, hard=c03f6000 soft=c03d6000
PID hash table entries: 4096 (order: 12, 65536 bytes)
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
Dentry cache hash table entries: 131072 (order: 7, 524288 bytes)
Inode-cache hash table entries: 65536 (order: 6, 262144 bytes)
Memory: 1032580k/1048320k available (1893k kernel code, 15076k reserved, 767k data, 192k init, 130816k highmem)
Using HPET for base-timer
Using HPET for gettimeofday
Detected 3000.500 MHz processor.
Using hpet for high-res timesource
Calibrating delay using timer specific routine.. 6004.69 BogoMIPS (lpj=3002347)
Security Scaffold v1.0.0 initialized
SELinux: Initializing.
SELinux: Starting in permissive mode
There is already a security framework initialized, register_security failed.
selinux_register_security: Registering secondary module capability
Capability LSM initialized as secondary
Mount-cache hash table entries: 512 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
CPU: After generic identify, caps: bfebfbff 20100000 00000000 00000000
CPU: After vendor identify, caps: bfebfbff 20100000 00000000 00000000
monitor/mwait feature present.
using mwait in idle threads.
CPU: Trace cache: 12K uops, L1 D cache: 16K
CPU: L2 cache: 1024K
CPU0: Physical Processor ID: 0
CPU0: Processor Core ID: 0
CPU0: Initial APIC ID: 0
CPU: After all inits, caps: bfebfbff 20100000 00000000 00000180
Intel machine check architecture supported.
Intel machine check reporting enabled on CPU#0.
CPU0: Intel P4/Xeon Extended MCE MSRs (24) available
CPU0: Thermal monitoring enabled
Enabling fast FPU save and restore... done.
Enabling unmasked SIMD FPU exception support... done.
Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
CPU0: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz stepping 07
per-CPU timeslice cutoff: 2925.11 usecs.
task migration cache decay timeout: 2 msecs.
Booting processor 1/1 eip 3000
CPU 1 irqstacks, hard=c03f7000 soft=c03d7000
Initializing CPU#1
Calibrating delay using timer specific routine.. 6000.27 BogoMIPS (lpj=3000135)
CPU: After generic identify, caps: bfebfbff 20100000 00000000 00000000
CPU: After vendor identify, caps: bfebfbff 20100000 00000000 00000000
monitor/mwait feature present.
CPU: Trace cache: 12K uops, L1 D cache: 16K
CPU: L2 cache: 1024K
CPU1: Physical Processor ID: 0
CPU1: Processor Core ID: 1
CPU1: Initial APIC ID: 1
CPU: After all inits, caps: bfebfbff 20100000 00000000 00000180
Intel machine check architecture supported.
Intel machine check reporting enabled on CPU#1.
CPU1: Intel P4/Xeon Extended MCE MSRs (24) available
CPU1: Thermal monitoring enabled
CPU1: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz stepping 07
Total of 2 processors activated (12004.96 BogoMIPS).
ENABLING IO-APIC IRQs
..TIMER: vector=0x31 pin1=2 pin2=-1
checking TSC synchronization across 2 CPUs: passed.
Brought up 2 CPU

I'm to unfamiliar with VMware to understand how it sees the number of cpu's but i'm reading two cpu's here ?!

Thanx!

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

As I remember someone having it here and there was needed bios updates (although I think it is not supported/Pentium D).

0 Kudos
DOK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Looks to me like you have only one CPU - why do you think you have 2? That Pentium-D is a hyperthreading processor, not multicore and definately not capable of supporting dual CPU's on a motherboard

I think that's not quite correct. A Pentium D certainly is a Dual Core CPU (basically two Pentium 4 cores nailed onto one die).

<[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Pentium_D]>

Never tried ESX on one though.

Regards

0 Kudos
dwchan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

what if you have are using a 4 socket quad core? i know the core doesn't matter, but what if you are using a 4 socket server (i.e. DL585) Does that mean esxi is not longer free? if there is a charge, would i be charge for 4 CPU license or 2 ?

dwc

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This answer from Dell seems a bit bogus. You host should report one physical slot, 2 CPU cores and 2 logical CPUs. As chritianZ mentions, try a BIOS upgrade if available. I also recall a thread this week in which that was the solution.

0 Kudos
_Jester_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm almost certain i'm using the latest BIOS, but will check that just to be sure.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you run ESXi in standalone (free) mode, then you can run as many CPU cores as ESXi / ESX can support (i.e. up to 32 cores / 32 logical processors).

0 Kudos