VMware Cloud Community
mschddny
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 3.5 update 4 and ssh

On previous update 3, I had no problem using ssh to the esxi server. Now it seems after editing the inetd.conf and even rebooting the server I can not putty to the esxi server. Was there a change between update 3 to update 4?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

I have it running fine with update 4 (both with fresh installs and upgrades). Is the inetd.conf change surviving a reboot?

0 Kudos
mschddny
Contributor
Contributor

No and I did exit with wq, strange what gives?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

vi is a bit of a pain to use. If you're interested I have an oem.tgz file that will enable SSH (and rsync and ftp) - http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/customize_oem_tgz.php.

mschddny
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks I will try this tomorrow morning. But I still don't undrestand why vi didn't work.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

I usually double a file after editing. Did you just remove the #? And not for example change ssh to SSH.

0 Kudos
mschddny
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah the # was removed and saved it

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If it saved correctly but didn't survive a reboot then there's a change the system config may not be backing up correctly. You'll want to check that /bootbank/state.tgz 9 /bootbank/local.tgz for ESXi Embedded) is being updated each hour at 1 minute past the hour.

0 Kudos
mschddny
Contributor
Contributor

This is the installed version not the embedded version.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

The 9 should have been ( - with instalable the backup file is /bootbank/state.tgz - with embedded it is /bootbank/local.tgz.

0 Kudos
JasonBarnes
Contributor
Contributor

Is port 22 listening?

netstat -nlp |grep ssh

Also is the firewall blocking it?

-

Thanks,

Jason Barnes

VPS-Hosting

www.vps-hosting.ca

ESX Server Hosting :: Server Co-Location :: Support Services

-------------------------- Thanks, Jason Barnes VPS-Hosting www.vps-hosting.ca ESX Server Hosting :: Server Co-Location :: Support Services
0 Kudos