VMware Cloud Community
Steven1112
Contributor
Contributor

Dell Flash Bootable?

We just purchased a server from Dell which has the option of integrating ESXi into the computer so it boots up automatically. I believe they said this was done by a flash card on the motherboard? The person who placed the order didn't order it, and the server was already in route before we realized the mix-up. Is this something we can do ourselves by putting it on an SD card or do we have to call dell and order the part needed? Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Google: Install ESXi on Flash

You will get hundreds of hits. But why do you need the flash? Just install ESXi, it's less than a 30 meg footprint.

Spike999
Contributor
Contributor

I would imagine it would be similar to this article on TechHead.co.uk but instead of using a USB drive you use a memory card.

I have ESXi running of a 2GB USB stick but only because I have an internal USB port on the motherboard.

0 Kudos
sreekanth_reddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Let me know the server you have ordered.

Different types of servers have different types of flash.

Actually you can use a 1GB USB key for any server, but which is not supported.

Each server has a list of supported Flash devices, which you might need to order from DELL.

Then ESXi recovery CD will be available online, which you can use easliy to install ESXi.

Thanks

SreeKanth.

Please mark this answer as Helpful/Answered, if it is.

0 Kudos
Steven1112
Contributor
Contributor

It's the PowerEdge T610, thank you all for the info!

0 Kudos
matuscak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm not the original poster, but in my case, the reason for setting up a system with ESXi embedded is money and power Smiley Happy

A USB stick or SD card is a whole lot cheaper ($10 vs $350) and lower power than a SAS disk.

0 Kudos
Formatter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a T610 I just setup.. Used this procedure on my laptop to make the cf card but also works on the usbkey..

Try this it worked great on mine and I also made a backup CF card....

I love my DELL T610

0 Kudos