VMware Cloud Community
viper8
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Copy .iso file to ESXi server datastore

I have a fresh install of ESXi 3.5U2. I need to copy a windows install cd image (.iso) to the server now in order to create a new VM and boot from it. I use winscp in ESX 3.0.2 but I understand ssh server isn't running in ESXi....any ideas on how to copy the file?

Thanks,

Dave

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
je-it
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found the easiest way was to use the Datastore Browser (go to configuration, storage, then right-click on a datastore and select Browse) From there I created an ISO folder and used the browser to upload files to it. These are stored on your VMFS3 partition so it is using up VM space, but I figured we could always delete them later to free up space.

This may not be the "correct" way, but it worked fine for us and didn't require any other 3rd party utilities.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
je-it
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found the easiest way was to use the Datastore Browser (go to configuration, storage, then right-click on a datastore and select Browse) From there I created an ISO folder and used the browser to upload files to it. These are stored on your VMFS3 partition so it is using up VM space, but I figured we could always delete them later to free up space.

This may not be the "correct" way, but it worked fine for us and didn't require any other 3rd party utilities.

Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Dave, with ESXi 3.5 and ESX 3.5 you can now copy files to and from the datastores with the Browse Datastore function in the VI client. On the Sumary or Configuration \ Storage page for the host, right click on the datastore and select Browse Datastore. On the Browse Datastore window you'll see icons to upload / download and move files.

Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

PS - for test / training ESXi hosts, you can enable SSH - http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/ESXi_enable_SSH.php

viper8
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Excellent! Uploading the iso file now. Thanks for the help guys!

Much appreciated,

Dave

0 Kudos
JYatesFCL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After editing the /etc/inetd.conf file to remove comment to enable SSH and restarting, can now get to remote logon session using PuTTY, but get access denied. Am attempting to logon with non root user account. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
mikemcsw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That works, but it's painfully slow??

There must be a better way??

YOU>>Hi Dave, with ESXi 3.5 and ESX 3.5 you can now copy files to and from

the datastores with the Browse Datastore function in the VI client. On

the Sumary or Configuration \ Storage page for the host, right click on

the datastore and select Browse Datastore. On the Browse Datastore

window you'll see icons to upload / download and move files.

0 Kudos
cmiller82
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The reply is a little late, but I hope this helps someone.

I had the same problem. ESXi is hosted at the datacentre and my upload speed from home is only 30-50KB/s, using the datastore browser didn't work because if there was any interruption the file upload would cancel, and with no ability to continue the upload the only option was to drive to the datacentre.

BUT!!!

ESXi supports NFS data stores. As long as you have at least one VM running (hopefully linux, but you can still pull it off in Windows) I used Filezilla to upload the ISO to the VM (or another server in the datacentre) and then export the file system using NFS, then just mount it as a data store.

teckfa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

cmiller82, thanks a million. Only the NFS method has worked, for a 200 MB .iso file, when uploading failed again and again.

0 Kudos
knhebbar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a ton mate. It worked....

0 Kudos
BPB21
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the tip - I was overlooking this!

0 Kudos
tronic72
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great reply post. Easy and worked perfectly. Saved me a heap of time.

Thanks. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
KitchenTableToW
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great stuff in this post, but I just got something working which I thought I'd share.

I have a Windows 8 client VM on my ESXI installation, and I sometimes use Windows Explorer in that image to download ISOs.  To share those ISOs with other VMs, the ISO needs to be copied outside of the VM into the datastore.

I installed VMWare vSphere Client into that Windows VM - the installer ran the CPU at 100% for 15 minutes without anything happening, then suddenly sprang into life and installed OK.  I can now use the client from my Desktop to open the VM on ESXI, then fire up vShpere client inside that VM, browse the datastore, and upload the file to the datastore from within the VM.  It runs tons quicker than uploading from my desktop.

Great product...

dgrant888
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey Je-It

just wanted to say a thousand thanks...from a newbie! Btw...any suggestions for training material for VM from the floor to the ceiling mainly ESXi, VMserver and vcenter...I think I expressed it right, right?

0 Kudos
Sukhanandsarkar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi , causing slowness issue it not because of esxi server . I have file of 2.5 gb then also time to deploying was 350 min .

After troubleshooting we found that the issue is with the PC where we have installed vsphere client . we tried the same from another PC it was so fast it took hardly 4 min.

0 Kudos
jrshabazz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am a newb to ESXI 6.5 and I just wanted to say thanks for the post. The WebClient for 6.5 makes thing easy. 

0 Kudos