VMware Cloud Community
hereshashi
Contributor
Contributor

CD ROM is not be detected at Boot

Hi,

I created one VM in ESXi 3.5 with Linux and 64 Bit environment.

When I try to attach any CD or ISO image to this VM after turning it on, it will not recognize it and would say "No Operating System found"

I changed Boot Option too but no luck.

I have attached screentshot of VM console.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Shashi.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

have you, checked the connect at boot and the connected boxes in the edit settings dialog,

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780136083214]”. Currently available on roughcuts

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Once connected to CD/ROM device and still have same issue, would you double check your ISO image are not corrupted or make sure burn .iso to bootable CD/ROM instead of data. I know its newbie question but that's I could think of now.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
hereshashi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Tom,

Those options are disabled, I tried to check while This machine was

powered Off and On.

Thanks,

Shashi.

0 Kudos
hereshashi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Stefan,

I have already tested those ISO images by installing it on different

VMWare Host and it works perfectly.

Thanks,

Shashi.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

where exactly is the CD or ISO that you are trying to mount, further for the sharing in the top right corner I would sumise the somebody else has the dialog open, thus disabling your access rights.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780136083214]”. Currently available on roughcuts

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
hereshashi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Tom,

I have opened VI from my desktop ( running Vista ) and trying to mount

ISO image located in local hard drive ( of Vista machine ) OR Cd ROM of

my own Desktop Machine.

I could not understand your second part "further for the sharing in the

top right corner I would sumise the somebody else has the dialog open,

thus disabling your access rights.", Please elaborate.

Thanks,

Shashi.

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Can you upload the .iso image to the LUN that visible to your host and browse the datastore ISO file to it and check connected status. Have you try create a new VM for quick test if the options are available?

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
hereshashi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Stefan,

I already tried with datastore and it works properly, just wanted to

check why this CD Rom option is not working.

Tried to create New VM with 32 Bit and Windows too, no luck.

Thanks,

Shashi.

0 Kudos
WarlockArg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, I am so new in this world, but perhaps I can help you with this issue because I had almost the same problem recently.

I'm gonna give you some steps to check or to do:

If you want to boot your VM using a booteable CD put into your notebook's o workstation's CDROM drive check or do the following:

- At the VM's setting Windows, selecting the CDROM Drive choose under "Device Type" the option "Client Device"

- In the VM's setting Windows, select the "option" tab, select Advanced->Boot Option and check the box "Force BIOS Setup" in order to enter in the VM's BIOS when you turn it on.

- Open a console a turn on the VM. Afterward click the button "Connect CDROM" and choose the drive letter of your CDROM drive in your notebook. Because the check box you selected in the step before, you are gonna enter the VM's BIOS. Select inside it to boot from CD at the first option. Afterward save and exit.

- If the "System not found" message shows up, press CTRLALTINS in order to reboot the VM. It should work and boot from the CD you have put in your notebook's CDROM drive.

- Or course, you must be sure the CD your using is booteable.

If you want to boot your VM using a CD put into the ESXi's CDROM Drive check or do the following:

- At the VM's setting Windows, selecting the CDROM Drive choose under "Device Type" the option "Host Device" and select below the CDROM Drive of the ESXi Server

- Check in that window the check box that say "Connect at power on"

- Open a Console view and turn on the VM. Again you should choose the CDROM Drive as the first option to boot from inside de VM's BIOS. In order to enter de VM's BIOS select the check box "Force BIOS Setup" in Options->Advanced->Boot Option.

- If still doesn't boot from the CD, turn the VM off and restart your ESXi server in order to enter in the server BIOS. Inside it, somewhere in input/output device there's an option that says "IDE Mode" or "Configure IDE Mode" where you can choose between "Compatibility" or "Native". Change that value. In my case, the VM began to boot from the CD when I selected the "Native" option. Again, if you receive the "System not found" press CTRLALTINS in order to restart your VM.

I hope this will be usefull.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

When the CDROM is in your workstation you need to click on the CD button in the VI client. Icons just below the text menu.

Windows does not have the SCSI drivers necessary to install. You will need to download the floppy drive image from http://download3.vmware.com/software/vmscsi-1.2.0.4.flp. Upload to your datastore and edit the settings for the virtual machine. Make sure you Connect at Power on. Press F6 as soon as setup starts.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
hereshashi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your effort in making these steps so explanatory, really

appreciate it.

I already tried these steps and it did not help. I still can not get VM

to boot through CD Smiley Sad

Thanks,

Shashi.