VMware Cloud Community
a18041967
Contributor
Contributor

3i, 3.5.0 NTP Time Problem, 1 hour out.

I'm running 3i and the time is exactly 1 hour ahead, I'm syncing with an external time service that I know is correct, if I override the time and manually set it, it shows red and then resets back to 1 hour ahead.

Its as if 3i is not taking into account the UK summer time +1 hour, is there a time zone setting in 3i and can it be acccessed from the infratsructure client, I wasn't able to set it during the installation?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

it's not possible to set the timezone in ESXi. ESXi runs in UTC and the time you see is converted by the VIC, which uses the Windows info to convert the time to their own region.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

moved to the ESXi forum

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
a18041967
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the update, is there any docuementation on how to work arround this problem? My ESXi host is syncing with my external time service and is +1hr, I'm running a VM Windows domain controller that I would normally enable VMtools to sync the time, the domain controller is set to GMT with sumer time enabled. All machines in the domain will pick up their time from the domain controller, currently all the devices are +1hr.

As a short term solution I have disabled the time sync in VMWare tools, this is OK until the domain controller reboots, for some strange reason at the next reboot the time is yet again +1hr.

0 Kudos