VMware Cloud Community
mla_
Contributor
Contributor

test esx on laptop

hi,

I would like to deploy esx lab on laptop. I read that people do it on wmware vorkstation.

I have a pretty powerfull laptop 2.4 intel core 2 duo 4GB

Presently running Vista with VMServer 2.

I just tried to install esxi withing Server 2. Created virtual machine with 2GB of RAM, tried 2 processors and one.

With 2 procs CPU usage of host becomes 100%. installation not moves after loading VMKernel(approx 5% on progress bar). NO error message.

Tried assign 1 proc to virt machine. Ther result is a bit better. Host proc utilisation is 50%. But not moves on the same load VMkernel.

I set Red Hat OS for Virtual Machine.

What could be done to at least install ESX. I believe it is possble since people installing it on VM Workstation.

If it is possble I thought to install XP with minimum services, than Server2 and than ESX.

Any suggestions?

Thx.

"When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis
0 Kudos
2 Replies
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I haven't done it myself but there was a good discussion thread on the board recently on trying to run ESX on a laptop.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1119455#1119455

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos
mla_
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I read the discussion on provided link after posting. My bad...

Sure, I have less questions, but still have few related esx-laptop installation.

1. By reading suggested post I made a conclusion that ESX could be installed on VMWare Workstation. No one didn't mention Server2. And one of myquestions was use of Server2 that I tried but installation stopped without error.

May be somebody knows why Workstation is more suitable for this?

2. I plan to remove VISTA-64 bit and install XP (with stopping usless services). So I will save Gig of RAM.

a) Should my XP be 64bit?

b) Does VMWare Workstation will see 64 bit hardware if XP will be 32 bit?.

c) What than will happen with ESX and guests 64 bit wise. Could VMs be 64 bit after all?

Thanks.

"When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis
0 Kudos