VMware Cloud Community
ketjghj5
Contributor
Contributor

esx 3 + msa1510i trouble

Hi,

I have esx 3.0.1 connected to msa1510i with s/w iSCSI by gigabit network. Sometimes it crashes with scsi error and virtual machines stops to respond. reboot command is not working, so I have to reboot esx by pressing power button. For this moment I'm wondering - why there are two target luns - one is empty (no storage space) and second is 2 TB storage which isconfigured in MSA1510i. (see picture in attachment). I tried to remove the empty lun or disable route but unsuccessfully... one more strange thing is that iSCSI does not work in 3.0.2 version

there is also vmkernel log file for deeper details.

could you give some advice what could be wrong?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ketjghj5
Contributor
Contributor

anybody?

0 Kudos
vmuser219
Contributor
Contributor

We also use HP MSA1510i as ISCSI storage and have had exactly same kind of problem. Few times after rescanning storage our ESX 3.0.2 server(s) have totally stopped working and only solution was to reboot esx by pressing power button.

0 Kudos
jaygriffin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If search the messages here - I believe you will find that the MSA 1510i is not compatible with 3.0.1. I think I remember reading that. We are using on 3.0.2 without any problems.

0 Kudos
ketjghj5
Contributor
Contributor

can you post your configuration somehow? (maybe screenshot of storage configuration)

it is strange but when I upgraded esx to 3.0.2 latest version my esx didn't see iSCSI at all... maybe you know where is the trick?

many thanks

0 Kudos
paradizelost
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, first off, you cannot have authentication on 3.0.2 that's what's causing your ISCSI to not work.

For your lockup issues, you need to get to HP tier 3 tech support, and get the MSA1510i Firmware 1.32.300 instead of 1.32.200. This fixes the lock up issue, but is not a general release firmware, and you will have to sign a release.

0 Kudos