VMware Cloud Community
Fredzone
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

errors after upgrade 3.5.0 to 3.5.0 Upgrade 1

Hello,

I upgraded two servers from 3.5.0 to 3.5.0 upgrade 1 from the CD.

Everything was fine during the upgrade process but at the boot procedure, I had errors at the end with the last script "/var/pegasus/vmware/install_queue/3".

Error from the log file /var/pegasus/vmware/install_queue/3.log"

Parsing error: parse error: Error adding class VMware_IdentityMemberOfCollection

to the repository: CIM_ERR_NOT_FOUND: The requested object could not be found:

"VMware_Identity"

I had the same errors on both servers. If I reboot the servers "/var/pegasus/vmware/install_queue/3" re-tries each time but failed.

Everything seems right on the servers but I'm not confident about that.

What can I do to fix that?

Thank you in advance,

Frédéric

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Ok,

I have solved this issue.

There are a couple of errors in the MOF compiler directives and a file is missing from the shared provider components.

Here is what you will need to do.

Edit the roleauth-schema compiler directive to include the VMware_Identity class definition using

nano /var/pegasus/vmware/install_queue/3_files/mofs/root/PG_Interop/roleauth-schema.mof

Add the bolded line above the pre-existing member directive.

#pragma include ("VMware_Identity.mof")

#pragma include ("VMware_IdentityMemberOfCollection.mof")

It also needs to be added in the standard cimv2 path.

nano /var/pegasus/vmware/install_queue/3_files/mofs/root/cimv2/roleauth-schema.mof

Copy the missing file from the stardard cimv2 path to the shared path.

cp /var/pegasus/vmware/install_queue/3_files/mofs/root/cimv2/VMware_Identity.mof /var/pegasus/vmware/install_queue/3_files/mofs/root/PG_Interop/

Stop and start the service with these commands.

/etc/init.d/pegasus stop

/etc/init.d/pegasus start

Once the scripts completes the install_queues will be empty and the service will start much more quickly.

Enjoy!

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
61 Replies
kucharski
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Did you actually download the correct file from VMware. There are actually 3 files you can download:

1. A straight iso image for a brand new build of ESX 3.5 w/ Update 1 (which you probably downloaded and don't want)

2. An upgrade package from ESX 2.x to ESX 3.5 w/ Update 1

3. An upgrade package from ESX 3.5 to ESX 3.5 w/ Update 1 (this is the one that you should have downloaded)

Michael

0 Kudos
bkhowson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I believe pegasus is part of the IBM Director client. You would have to talk to IBM about it. If you can experiment (test lab...) you could try removing and reinstalling Director.

0 Kudos
Fredzone
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I downloaded the correct file (the servers have the related build). I took the ISO file and I burn it on a CD.

I wanted to be sure of my media so I run the media test of the installation CD. The check was ok on both servers. So I'm pretty sure that the ISO/media is not the source of the problem.

Frédéric

0 Kudos
Fredzone
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The servers are HP ML570. IBM director is not installed on the servers.

0 Kudos
Dram
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the exact problem of FredZone, same error, same erro in logfile, upgrade from 3.5 to 3.5.0 upgrade 1, upgrade from downloaded iso (verified).

The only difference is that the server is a hp proliant DL380 G5

What happen?????

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hi,

Your installation/upgrade is just fine. Pegasus is an opensource Common Information Model management tool. The error you received is very minor.

The pegasus engine was trying to compile the list of MOF files in the /var/pegasus/vmware/install_queue/3

Unfortunately there appears to be a miss match for only the VMware_Identity class object.

I am working this issue myself and hope to have to time to clean up the error'd MOF repository.

It will not cause any problems for VC but could have minor impact on any CIM based management apps for the server which most shops don't use.

0 Kudos
supersonic_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm running into the same issue on all servers (4 x 3.5 -> 3.5-U1).

When rebooting a server "/var/pegasus/vmware/install_queue/3" starts again.

Hoping this issue - minor or not - will be solved shortly...

Bye

Martin

0 Kudos
bkhowson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Has anyone done the upgrade on IBM? Are all the complaints on HP? Do the people reporting issues have Insight Manager installed, or are these 'pristine' systems?

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have IBM servers and yes it occurs on a clean install as well.

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Ok,

I have solved this issue.

There are a couple of errors in the MOF compiler directives and a file is missing from the shared provider components.

Here is what you will need to do.

Edit the roleauth-schema compiler directive to include the VMware_Identity class definition using

nano /var/pegasus/vmware/install_queue/3_files/mofs/root/PG_Interop/roleauth-schema.mof

Add the bolded line above the pre-existing member directive.

It also needs to be added in the standard cimv2 path.

nano /var/pegasus/vmware/install_queue/3_files/mofs/root/cimv2/roleauth-schema.mof

Copy the missing file from the stardard cimv2 path to the shared path.

cp /var/pegasus/vmware/install_queue/3_files/mofs/root/cimv2/VMware_Identity.mof /var/pegasus/vmware/install_queue/3_files/mofs/root/PG_Interop/

Stop and start the service with these commands.

/etc/init.d/pegasus stop

/etc/init.d/pegasus start

Once the scripts completes the install_queues will be empty and the service will start much more quickly.

Enjoy!

0 Kudos
Dram
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Seems that everything go OK, Tanks!!!

0 Kudos
daniel337
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@mike.laspina:

Thank you very much for this helful answer! I had exact this problem after the update of five servers (Dell PowerEdge 2900 III) from version 3.5.0 to 3.5.0 Update 1 using the CD.

Thumps up!

Daniel

0 Kudos
mjcb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

After I do this, what log do I check to ensure the error is fixed.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hi,

The pegasus log entries are mostly in /var/messages and maybe some in /var/boot.log.

0 Kudos
Monoman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I guess my questions are what is Pegasus? Is this problem superifcial or should it be addressed immediately? If it is a real problem that needs to be addressed then shouldn't VMWare issue a fix?

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hi,

What is pegasus? You would be best served by reading wiki

The pegasus service was still functional before the updates so this fix is not critical at this point.

The changes I made simply correct errors in the install components and will be ultimately what VMware will do to fix the problem.

The real benefit here is the boot process will be about 100 seconds faster.

0 Kudos
GraphiteDak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Let's just hope they re-package quickly. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
DFATAnt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've been experiencing the same problem as mentioned by everyone else. We even logged an SR with VMware support and the best they could do was point us at this discussion thread. It's great that Mike.Laspina has posted a fix (thanks Mike), but I would have thought that VMware would have provided a revised package. I have a large number of ESX servers and I really don't want to have perform a work around on every ESX server to get around a flawed update provided by VMware. And yes I could write a script to make the work around alot easier, but once again why should I have do this when VMware should be providing a revised package.

Cheers

Ant

0 Kudos
GraphiteDak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

All they need to do is repackage the pegasus rpm. I went ahead and incorporated the fix into my kickstarts for now. Yes, thanks Mike!

0 Kudos