VMware Cloud Community
kenner
Contributor
Contributor

Wierd error message from Storage VMotion

I've been doing a lot of Storage VMotions and some percentage of them fail randomly with the following:

Performing Storage VMotion.

0% |----

| 100%

##################

Received an error from the server: A general system error occurred: failed to copy disk(s) (vim.fault.InvalidDiskFormat)

Does anybody know what this might mean? All of the VMs have been moved around before.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
agaiswin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Kenner,

did you resolve this ? I have the same problem and am a little bit puzzled.

Regards

Alex

0 Kudos
kenner
Contributor
Contributor

No, it's too random. There was another consistent error that we do understand (I was working with VMware engineering on it). There was a recent KB issue that if snapshots are being taken directly on the host while svmotion is going on, it could cause a problem like this, but I don't know if that's what I was seeing or not.

0 Kudos
agaiswin
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the fast answer! So I will have to do some more testing...

Regards

Alex

0 Kudos
bradmarshall-cq
Contributor
Contributor

I've seen this error multiple times in the past week or so, since I've been reorganising our storage layout. It ended up being two main issues - one was a node was incorrectly setup on the SAN to be Windows rather than VMWare, and the other was a failing HBA. So I'd be looking at your storage to see if you have any weird issues like that happening, and check your SAN switches to see if you have any errors there too.

--

Brad Marshall

Senior Systems Engineer

Central Queensland University

-- Brad Marshall Senior Systems Engineer Central Queensland University
0 Kudos
Justin_G_
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the replies, you pointed me in the right direction.

I had this same issue and found I had a bad HBA.

0 Kudos