Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Vmotion / Orphaned / migrate problem

we are running

ESX 3.5.0 110181 update 2

with VC 2.5.0 build 104215 update 2

here is the problem

we had last week a power dump and it dumped everything SAN, ESX, VC etc. as everything was coming backup we had a time deference problem on the esx servers of 2 hours. so they where "fighting" is best i could describe it. anyway i took care of that problem by setting the clock correct.

everything has been running fine but today when i tried to vmotion some VM's some of them got an error as follows. (side note not all of the VM's got this error)

"A General System error occurred: failed to initiate VMotion dest (vim.fault.AlreadyExist)"

next i tried to do a cold migragte then i got this error

"A general system error occurred: Invalid fault"

and now i have an orphaned VM "server (orphaned)"

any idea's?

Stephen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You are running the latest build, so you should see that the esx host will disconnect from vc for 10-20 seconds, and will reconnect. Your running vm's should not be affected in the least, but restarting will clear any issues in the daemon such as possible stuck processes. Just to make double sure, you can go into the esx config, startup/shutdown, and make sure you don't have auto shutdown enabled.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I've run into issues with incomplete vmotion. I would remove the vm from inventory, restart hostd on both esx servers in question, then browse the datastore and add the vm back in to inventory. This should fix any orphaned vm issues.

-KjB

Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

what side effects will happen if i restart hostd? will all the VM's on the esx be shutdown?

Stephen

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You are running the latest build, so you should see that the esx host will disconnect from vc for 10-20 seconds, and will reconnect. Your running vm's should not be affected in the least, but restarting will clear any issues in the daemon such as possible stuck processes. Just to make double sure, you can go into the esx config, startup/shutdown, and make sure you don't have auto shutdown enabled.

-KjB

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

yep that took care of both issues Smiley Happy thanks

Stephen

0 Kudos