VMware Cloud Community
ANSA
Expert
Expert

VM - invalid

On of my VMs is coming up as invalid. I have tried to unregister and re-register it, but it still comes up as invalid. This VM is on a 3.5 host and the VI client is 2.5

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
demz
Expert
Expert

Similar thread created a few days ago http://communities.vmware.com/thread/177263?tstart=0

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

did you try to restart the vpx agent on the guest(s) host(s). This may in turn cause the guest to go into an orphan state, fromt here you can remove it from inventory and then add to inventory.

0 Kudos
ANSA
Expert
Expert

yes I did restart the mgmt service and vpxa services on the host. Then removed the VM from inventory and re-registered it. No luck. Came back as invalid.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

is the guest in question hosted in a cluster? If so, you should search your clusters hosts to see if the VM somehow is showing up partially registered on two hosts.

0 Kudos
ANSA
Expert
Expert

No. The host is not clustered .....

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

so you are not even using a VCMS? If not, can you try to remove it from inventory, create a new VM, tell it to use existing disk and point it to the guests disk files? Maybe the existing .vmx is corrupt.

If you are using a VCMS, maybe restarting the service will help.

0 Kudos
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert

Try checking your SAN/Storage connection. Many times when there is a problem with the SAN/storage connection, one of the first symptoms is your VMs start becoming "invlaid".

The SAN may have "lost" the information for the ESX hosts - try repopulating the SAN with the ESX host information.

0 Kudos