dirkb
Contributor
Contributor

VI Client defaults to german locale after 3.5 U2 update: how to change?

Hello,

i just installed all latest patches including 3.5 Update 2. VI Client has been updated after logging onto the rebooted server. Now the logon and all UI is german and i don´t see a way to change this. The locale in /etc/vmware/hostd/config.xml is set to "en_US" i didn´t instally any language packs other than the default install & patches.

Server: ESX 3.5 U2 Build 103908; Client: Vista Enterprise English, regional settings are germany though.

Thanks for any help,

Dirk

0 Kudos
8 Replies
raoulst
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

here it's just the tasks that are displayed in German when I connect to an ESX 3.5.0 U2 server. Seems that it depends on the ESX server what language is used. When I connect to an ESX 3.0.2 host the tasks are displayed in English.

raoulst

0 Kudos
dirkb
Contributor
Contributor

I just checked the Release Notes and found:

VI Client Might Override the Language Preference Setting

VI Client might override the language preference setting and display

some messages in a language other than its primary language. It might

display messages that are dynamically generated by the server

(VirtualCenter Server and ESX Server) in the primary language set on

the server. This issue, however, does not occur if all the software are

run on the same language platform.

Still no workaround though...

0 Kudos
raoulst
Contributor
Contributor

I think I found an ugly workaround.

On the client computer go to:

Control Panel -> "Regional and Language Options" -> "Standards and formats": "English (United States)"

(Close and reopen VI-Client)

Apart from causing a lot of other applications to look or behave a little different, that seems to work.

regards, raoulst

0 Kudos
zybr
Contributor
Contributor

I am experiencing the same problem. - My local region settings are set to german (switzerland) though.

I cannot believe that we're the only ones that get frustrated about the "language switch" of the VI Client.

My Client:

Windows XP SP3 - English Installation with MUI Packs

Since it's been a month that the first post was created and nobody could come up with a real solution, I will write to VMware Support.

0 Kudos
zybr
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't had to open up a support call with VMware.

After looking at the installation directory on my PC I did the following thing:

renamed folder "de" to "de-old" in C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\2.5

et voila! Only the logon mask appears in german, the server's surface is now in english.

0 Kudos
dirkb
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, this workaround worked for me as well.

But still before i deploy the patches to other ESX-Servers i´ll wait for a real patch. I don´t want to rename folder names on all VI Client systems and the last problem with license expiration did not accelerate my patch adoption.

Thanks again,

Dirk

0 Kudos
raoulst
Contributor
Contributor

Interestingly I do only have an "en" folder in the directory "C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\2.5"...

raoulst

0 Kudos
Napsty
Contributor
Contributor

thanks zybr,

that worked for me too. although it's really strange there is no possibility to change the client language within the client (settings) itself...

0 Kudos