VMware Cloud Community
Network_Dude
Contributor
Contributor

Update manager - Changing the default location of the patch repository ?

Hi Guys, first off loving the new shiny stuff from VMware.

Secondly, built a shiny new Virtualcenter 2.5 server yesterday and got update manager installed onto it. Scanned a test windows 2003 server (ok so far), watched update manager download new patches for the box (still working so far), then watched the errors as my small C:\ partition get rapidly consumed in patch downloads.

My VM Virtualcenter currently has a secondary drive installed with about 60gb assigned to it, how can I change the default path for storage of downloaded patches ?

Would the patch repository be shifted if I re-installed virtualcenter onto said 60gb drive ?

Thanks in advance for any assistance Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
12 Replies
BostonPete
Contributor
Contributor

Yea, I second that request... my C: drive only has about 2gb left, and i don't want to fill that with patches....

I did some poking around and found a file (vci-integrity.xml) in the

C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\ Folder.

You'll see some lines in there referring to the current data store. I'm going to try to change that and restart the service and see what happens....

0 Kudos
hharold
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You are right, i ran into this this morning.

Change the paths in "C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\vci-integrity.xml

Save the file en restart the Update Manager Service

Cheers,

Harold

0 Kudos
BostonPete
Contributor
Contributor

Yup, that's it... change worked for me!

0 Kudos
LiamGP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I want to change mine too.

Did you copy the existing content out of the old directory to the new one or just let it rebuild itself?

0 Kudos
BostonPete
Contributor
Contributor

Yea, i stopped the service, cut and pasted the data folder to the new location, changed the xml file to the new path, and started the service. So i'm not sure if it would rebuild on it's own...

0 Kudos
LiamGP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cool, Will give it a try next week!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
dogbertvm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just as a side note: This path appears twice in vci-integrity.xml. It appears in the value <patchstore> and <path> under <docRootHostUpdates>. I note this in case anyone has changed the default path, and wants to know what to search for in the xml file.

Cheers,

Mike

0 Kudos
tcross
Contributor
Contributor

And FYI, you can change this path during the install of Update Manager.

0 Kudos
Achtemichuk
Contributor
Contributor

Is anyone using a patch repository that is not based on the local system (ie: like on a CIFS share)?

It would appear that the path needs to be a locally accessable path but I'm wondering about using a mapped CIFS share, except that I'm not sure of the behavour when the server is logged out (ie: if the VUM service can still access that drive).

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
kaufmac
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to use an smb share as patchstore but the download failed with "Path not found". My idea was to mount the smb share and start the update manager within a script at startupscript (set service to manual startup) so it works after a reboot of the VCS.

0 Kudos
mark_mathson
Contributor
Contributor

Good extra suggestion!

--

Mark Mathson

0 Kudos
vvghost
Contributor
Contributor

This is what worked for me. After I updated VC to 2.5 Update 1, I got the error that started this thread. It changed my VUM Repository back to the default. I had to change the location back to my 😧 drive using these two locations in the XML file.

Joe

0 Kudos