VMware Cloud Community
rlindell
Contributor
Contributor

Update Manager Download Site

Does anybody know what the website address is for the new Update Manager? We run a bluecoat poxy that requires authentication unless we pu tin an exception. Here is the error I am getting when I run the update task.

failed:Web site hosting the update signatures and update packages cannot be reached.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

There are the location

VMware and Windows : (this is only for metadata, the patch are download from download3.vmware.com and "something".microsoft.com)

Linux :

0 Kudos
TristanT
Contributor
Contributor

We are also getting the proxy error when we attempt our initial baseline load. We are pretty confident of the proxy settings but can't seem to get through.

I did notice that in attempting browser of access the URLs referenced by jfrichard:

The first link loads, the test page is dead, the WSDL page results in a network error.

As for the second link, the page cannot be found.

So...does anyone have any ideas? Is there a possible problem with the VMware patch infrastructure?

Thanks much!

0 Kudos
scottk273
Contributor
Contributor

Did you have any luck with this. Im running in to the same problems, unable to download packages.

0 Kudos
TristanT
Contributor
Contributor

I managed to get this working by making sure that VUM is configured to use an AD account that has permissions to get through our proxy. Also (here's where things were breaking down) make sure this account is specified to run the VUM service on your server (in this case we have VUM running on same server as VC). VUM working great now!

0 Kudos
MohdSajid
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to configure VUM and set the service account with the previlages mentioned but no chance. It is failing. What else do I need to look at?

Are you guys confoguring it for ESX , windows and linux updates. Is there any problem doing this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Sajid

0 Kudos
hank-ger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi,

we got the same problem "website hosting the update signatures and update packages cannot be reached" . we use also BLUECOAT proxy.

i use only ESX updates in the "scheduler task" . yesterday i tested the VUM on my laptop an it works. so i think there is a problem with the firewall setting.

my VUM is also configured as an AD account with proxy permissions.

does anyone make a CALL to VMware?

0 Kudos
rlindell
Contributor
Contributor

Here is what I have found working with others that are having this issue.

First you will need to edit a file called downloadconfig.installer.xml and add your proxy information in the appropriate section. located in the \VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager folder.

Secondly you will need to run a utility called vum-proxyAuthCfg.exe to ente credentials that have access to authenticate to your particiular proxy server. we user blue coat so it was pretty start forward.

0 Kudos
hank-ger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@rlindell: i think downladconfig.installer.xml point the proxy information to the "vc-integrity.xml" file

but my download works now: our proxy-admin forgot some entry´s in the exclusion table. (virus scan & site exclusion)

our update server got only 3 exclusion in the bluecoat table: "vmware.com" - "shavlik.com" - "microsoft.com" it works ! :smileygrin:

i edit only the ip-address from the proxy in the vc-integrity.xml file and set the proxy-authentification to blank.

0 Kudos
spex
Expert
Expert

Since I changed the settings in downloadmanager section of vci-integrity.xml (C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager) we had no more trouble with "metadata download failed". In our case it changed the timeout and concurrent sessions.

Regards

Spex

0 Kudos
emmar
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Anyone having issues with Bluecoat proxy see my post here to see the settgins we had to apply:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1101846#1101846

0 Kudos