VMware Cloud Community
devendrayadav
Contributor
Contributor

The installer was unable to find any supported network devices

Hi

I am trying to install ESX Server 3.0 on Dell Optiplex 745 and getting the following error

"The Installer is Unable to find any supported network devices"

I am sure that my network is ok as i verified that by running windows in same machin.

could any one help me out to resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance.

- Devendra

--------------- Devendra Yadav
0 Kudos
13 Replies
elfshadow
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESX supports a limited amount of hardware. Getting it to run on a desktop such as the Dell you have most likely will not be possible. There are some threads on trying to get ESX on a white box or even installed as a VM if you search the boards. You can also use the compatibility guides as a source for information regarding supported hardware:

EDIT: Here is a thread that has a post with links to getting ESX Server to run within a VM on VMware Workstation:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/107194?tstart=0

neohjh
Contributor
Contributor

how to resolve this problem?

0 Kudos
devendrayadav
Contributor
Contributor

as elfshadow mentioned ESX server supports to only limited hardware, I was not able to install ESX on Dell Optiplex 745.

When tried on Dell Optiplex 620, installation goes smoothly without any error and it's working perfectly.

Basically ESX server is not made for desktop machines, it’s for Servers. But luckily it works on Dell Optiplex 620.

- Devendra Yadav

--------------- Devendra Yadav
0 Kudos
neohjh
Contributor
Contributor

hope the esx server developer can patch this problem

0 Kudos
xanthide
Contributor
Contributor

Has this issue been resolved yet? I am having the same issue with an Optiplex 745 in a learning environment.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

It wont BE resolved because its not a bug. The card is simply not supported. The resolution would be to install a supported card.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
a_kamal
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone

This could be a dead post. just to let the people who got the same problem or similar.

There is no software solution for this issue BUT this is not the end of it. I added OLD NETWORK CARD and it just WORKED !

so if you are facing the same problem all what you need to do is to get a network card (recomanded to be old coz linux is good in supporting old hardware) and try it.

Regards

0 Kudos
litons
Contributor
Contributor

SAME MODEL BUT DIFFERENT EORROR! Unable to find a supported disk to copy ESX 3i xxx image to.

Hi,

I have the same model: optilex 745 small form factor and the error is with disk not the NIC. I played with BIOS settings but, was not able to resolve. Does anyone have information on this? Thanks in advance.

liton

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

same response though - you dont have a supported disk controller.

Get a supported controller, and you will be fine.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
litons
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. I thought everyone was installing it on a factory default, out-of-the-box machine!

All right, let me google and find a very cheap, supported disk controller. If anyone already has a working, not too expensive solution, sharing the info would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

liton

0 Kudos
Jdsony5
Contributor
Contributor

hi mates,

I am also stuck in a similar way with the installation of ESX 3.5 and I desperately need

your advice. i tried to install ESX 3.5 on bare metal (on my Laptop for

testing and learning purposes only) and at the very begining screen of

"welcome to the ESX server 3.5 installer" i got an error message

stating "The installer was unable to find any supported network

devices. Press "OK" to reboot the system " . i also tried installing it

the other way, on a hosted hyperviser using VMware workstation 6.5 but

in vain and i got the same error message. can u please let me know how

i can get around the problem. the network connection settings i used

were" bridged: connected directly to the physical network and i also

checked the box- replicate physical network connection state"and i have

seen all other alternative settings that are available on that screen.

i went through all the above responses to a similar kind of problem and i learned that i got to change my ethernet card, which i can't do as i am trying to install in on the laptop. so please let me know if there is any way around for this problem. sorry if this question is a bit annoying after somany repetitive answers of changing the network card.

cheers

0 Kudos
drag76on
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I got a solution about this problem. Before I explain the solution, I got the same problem like everyone else "The installer was unable to find any supported network devices". And then i realise, there is a new feature on VMware Workstation 7 to create new virtual machine and choose which OS do you want to use, from this point choose VMware ESX as OS. Now you will able to install VMware ESX server.

All above information, I run VMware ESX Server 3.5 on VMware Workstation 7. (Virtualization inside Virtualization)

Good luck!

0 Kudos
drag76on
Contributor
Contributor

Hi again

I got a another solution. I use VMware ESX Server base on linux OS.

Firstly, create a new virtual machine for any Linux OS and then edit vmx file where the directory of virtual machine is.

Add or change this following command:

• ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

• ethernet0.virtualDev="e1000"

• ethernet0.connectionType = "bridged"

• ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

For intel VT CPUs:

• monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "TRUE"

• monitor_control.vt32 = "TRUE"

For AMD-V CPUs:

Replaced monitor_control.vt32 = "TRUE" with monitor_control.enable_svm = "TRUE"

Resources or ideas:

I just start to learn VMware ESX Server, but I got a lot information from learning this video:

Train.Signal.VMware.ESX.Server.Training.Videos

Good Luck!

0 Kudos