VMware Cloud Community
morgandechile
Contributor
Contributor

TCP Offload Engine and other similar "Inside NIC" Features

Hello everybody

for the Developers people ....

HP NC373m "Multifunction" NIC is supported ... acording with the actual I/O compatibility guide ... and that is a fact. (and first of all, thanks for that)

The question is :

Does VMWare ESX 3.0.1 use the whole advantages associated with this piece of HW, for example the incluided TCP Offload engine??

For this excersise comparing with HP NC326m or HP NC325m, both NOT "multifunction" NICs??

( better performance ?? better whatever in communications )

also 373m cost more than 326m ... both Dual NICs

The thing is .... with NC373m, HP guys say:

"... supports TOE (TCP/IP Offload Engine), accelerated iSCSI (Internet Small Computer System Interface), and RDMA (Remote Direct Memory Access) over a single network connection within an MS Windows environment."

I know this is not MS environment .... ( so you no need to start with the linux-Win eternal battle )

but can ESX get some improvement ( in anything ) working with this NIC??? or is just the same work with NC373m than NC326m??

That was thinking mostly in TCP Offload Engine ...

Something to say in the iSCSI area of the same Card ??

RDMA ... ( for example ) with other ESX in a Multiple ESX datacenter Cluster ???

The question is because I work Selling VMWare projects, with HP HW ( as an Enterprie Solutions Architect) and also implementing those projects ... so the $$ are important ( OK, i Know it is not very much difference).

But most ... I can have one NC373m over a Blade server wich gives me 22 NICs .... OR i can have a NC325m wich gaves me 24 NICs ... the first supposedly with better performance. ( obviously, I can't have both at the same time, that's why i have to know wich solution is the better and why \!!! )

HAve anyone tried and saw some differences ???

thanks in advance

Gus.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
christianZ
Champion
Champion

Hello everybody

for the Developers people ....

HP NC373m "Multifunction" NIC is supported ...

acording with the actual I/O compatibility guide ...

Yes, but only as NIC and this means none iscsi and none TOE(with ESX) - the only one card (hba) which supports TOE is the QLA405x (only iscsi).

0 Kudos