VMware Cloud Community
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Relationship between vSwap file and Windows Paging File ?

Q1: We have allocated 1 GB memory to a Windows 2003 Server with no reservation and limit. From my understanding, it means that the vSwap file created will be 1GB and is located in the VMFS volume (Same directory as the VM). Is it correct ?

Q2: We would like to know when the Windows 2003 Operating System runs out of memory, will it use the paging file inside Windows ? If yes, when it will access the vSwap file ?

Q3: There should be a big difference between the paging file in Windows and accessing vSwap file. Does it mean that we should add more space for the paging file in Windows ?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Q1) Yes that is correct

Q2) Yes when the VM runs out of memory it will use the Windows paging file system - the per VM vmkernel swap file is only used by the vmkernel when the the vmkernel does not have enough memory to satisfy the memory demands of the vms it is hosting it is memory of last resort. The vmkernel will take advantage of transparent page sharing - the ability to store common memory in one read only location and the balloon driver (when vmware tools are installed) which allows the vmkernel to force the VM's guest o/s to use it virtual memory

Q3) Since paging file and vswp are independent I do not think that is necessary I would use the rules you use for the physical world at least I do

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Q1) Yes that is correct

Q2) Yes when the VM runs out of memory it will use the Windows paging file system - the per VM vmkernel swap file is only used by the vmkernel when the the vmkernel does not have enough memory to satisfy the memory demands of the vms it is hosting it is memory of last resort. The vmkernel will take advantage of transparent page sharing - the ability to store common memory in one read only location and the balloon driver (when vmware tools are installed) which allows the vmkernel to force the VM's guest o/s to use it virtual memory

Q3) Since paging file and vswp are independent I do not think that is necessary I would use the rules you use for the physical world at least I do

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos