VMware Cloud Community
ferricoxide
Contributor
Contributor

Raw/NPIV Devices and VM OS-based Multi-pathing Solutions

I was reading the article How NPIV-Based LUN Access Works and noticed the note:

<span class="zNoteHeads">Note be zoned to the virtual machine by the SAN administrator. This is required to support multipathing even though only one path at a time will be

active.

This is a bit unclear. The rest of the article reads as though, through NPIV, that up to four virtualized physical paths can be presented up through to the VM. It reads as though these paths would be candidates for VM OS multi-pathing to manage the paths it sees. Thus, were someone using, say, Veritas Volume Manager within the VM, that DMP could function as it would normally function in a physical version of the OS. However, the final part of that note reads as though only one of the paths presented to the VM would be active and usable. Is this the case, or are all paths that the VM sees actually active?

I guess what I'm asking is, if my ESX server has four HBAs and I present four HBAs to my VM, will a multipathing driver in the VM be able to take advantage of those four paths out of the ESX server?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

<span class="zNoteHeads">Note <span class="zNoteHeads">be zoned to the virtual machine by the SAN administrator. This is required to support multipathing even though only one path at a time will be

active.

NPIV still requires you to ZONE the paths to ESX and to the VMs. THe current path in use depends on the path ESX currently has in use. ESX does not aggregate paths, etc. Remember even when using NPIV you still need to create RDMs, etc.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
ferricoxide
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, but I guess what I'm asking is, if I have the ESX configured to present raw FC devices to the VM, could/would a (load-balancing) multipathing software be able to take advantage of the multiple FC paths as it would in a physical machine, or does ESX essentially negate that type of multipathing capability?

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Ok, but I guess what I'm asking is, if I have the ESX configured to present raw FC devices to the VM, could/would a (load-balancing) multipathing software be able to take advantage of the multiple FC paths as it would in a physical machine, or does ESX essentially negate that type of multipathing capability?

It all depends on what VMware ESX supports not on what the VM guest OS supports. NPIV is not quite 'passthru' to the VM but still goes through the vmkernel. Remember it still presents to the VM as a SCSI device not as a Fibre Channel device. ESX does not support aggregation so neither will NPIV enabled VM.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
ferricoxide
Contributor
Contributor

Oof... I suppose I should have figured that out when the VxVM docs said the DMP wasn't supported in VMware. Guess it comes down to, if you have an application that would either benefit from or require the performance associated with FC path aggregation (or any type of complex or high-performance storage requirements), you probably shouldn't try to run it in VMware.

0 Kudos