VMware Cloud Community
urgrue
Contributor
Contributor

LUN visible, VMFS not

Lots of people seem to have this problem but none of their solutions have worked for me.

Situation: 4 ESX hosts in a cluster all connected to the same 2 LUNs on a netapp filer by ISCSI. 2 hosts work fine, but the other 2 dont see the VMFS. The LUN is connected and visible, however, but its just not seeing any VMFS on it, and Add Storage thinks the disk is blank.

I tried putting LVM.resignature to 1 but that didnt help.

Neither did multiple reboots, rescans, refreshes, disconnect/reconnect, restart iscsi on netapp, etc etc etc....

Any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Mayur_Patel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

verify that the LUNS are presented with the same LUN number to each host. You'll have to do this from the NetApp filer.

Mayur

0 Kudos
urgrue
Contributor
Contributor

On Netapp the lun ID applies to the whole group and then you just add the ESX iqn's to that group, so I dont think its even possible for them lun id's to be different.

They are also the same on all the ESX's (0 and 1).

0 Kudos
PatrickMSlatter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you change the default iqn on the ESX hosts?

0 Kudos
chh_sys
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar problem, just with an HP EVA and FC.

2 hosts see the LUN and the VMFS on it. 2 other hosts only see the LUN but rescanning VMFSes does not help.

Christian

0 Kudos
urgrue
Contributor
Contributor

Did you change the default iqn on the ESX hosts?

No, its the same it always was.

As a side note, these two ESXs were on a different cluster with different LUNs before, and worked fine. I removed them from that cluster, disconnected the iscsi targets etc, and moved them over. Don't know if this could in any way be related.

But I'm going to try and add a "fresh" esx install into this cluster and see if that behaves the same way.

0 Kudos