VMware Cloud Community
dkware
Contributor
Contributor

Keyboard stops working during install

I have a DELL Inspiron 530 4 GB memory Quad core system. It has a USB mouse. I cannot install the evaluation copy of ESX Server 3.5. The keyborad stops working part way into the install. I look ed at your KB and tried the noapic option but that did not work. I also checked that I have the latest BIOS for my system. How can I get the install to work?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
keying
Contributor
Contributor

I had this problem with the included Dell compact USB keyboard. For some reason, it was not recognized.

After substituting a generic USB keyboard, I was able to install.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

The Dell Keyboard, seem to have a odd USB interface that causes this issue on Desktops, I bought my self a very cheap USB keyboard (No Name Brand) and everything went away.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
ablanchard
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have a similar problem. We have a Dell PowerEgde 2950. When we connect it to our hp rkm (share keyboard and video console) and install ESX 3.5 we loose the keyboard. The video is ok. If we connect a keyboar directly to it and keep the video through the rkm everything is ok. Problem persist even when ESX is install.

The keyboard in both case, rkm and direct, are usb keyboard.

We can live with the keyboard directly connect to the dell power edge for now but in the futur we will install a couple more esx server so we would like to be able to use our share console to access them.

Thank for any help.

André

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

I have a similar problem with a DELL PE860 which was connectet to a D-Link KVM and the keyboard freezed during installation of ESXi 3.5u2. After connecting a generic USB keyboad the installion works fine.

Regards

Joerg

'Remember if you found this or others answers helpful do not forget to award points by marking an answer as helpful or correct'

0 Kudos
ablanchard
Contributor
Contributor

So we are at the same place. It work when we connect a keyboard directly to the dell.

André

>>> Altix <communities-emailer@vmware.com> 2008-10-30 16:16 >>>

A new message was posted in the thread "Keyboard stops working during install":

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1088159#1088159

Author : Altix

Profile : http://communities.vmware.com/people/Altix

0 Kudos
ablanchard
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Problem solve.

I download the the latest version of ESX. Version 3.5 update 2 (110268). Burn it to cd.

Connect my server to the kvm. Boot the server with the cd. When the install program start it say the keyboard is a 3 mouse usb keybaord. When ask, I select update. When ask for the keyboard type, I select the default answer which is 3 mouse usb keyboard.

When I reboot, everything work ok. Video and keyboard.

Andre

0 Kudos