VMware Cloud Community
Steefke
Contributor
Contributor

ISCSI fails on ESX 3.5 host

Hi there all,

i am struggling the last few weeks with a annoying problem on one of our ESX hosts. EDIT: BOTH servers suffering this problem, but the VM's are still available...

Out of the blue on one morning the host state was disconnected in de VC.

After some investigation it seems that DRS caused the host to go down.

After trying to boot the hosts refuses to boot when the ISCSI cable is plugged in (screenshot boot1.jpg)

When i pull out the cable the server boots just fine, but when plugging in the cable again it will report a lot of errors (see console error1.log)

i tried numurous things:

disable DRS en HA

configure another nic and another cable for ISCSI

disable and enable iscsi

and found some solutions about disabling LVM.DisallowSnapshotLun but without succes..

its driving me a little insane...

hopefully you guys can help me...

The second ESX host is runnig just fine, identical Hardware.

Both are HP DL360 G6 servers connected to a netgear managable switch and storage also netgear NAS (its a test enviroment)

thanx in advance.

excuses for my bad english im not a native speaker!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Try to disable HA and DRS (by disabling HA the boot error will disappear).

Then be sure on storage configuration, if you are using iSCSI be sure that the LUN is in "shared" mode.

Then check if you can see the SAME datastore with the SAME same on both ESX.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
Steefke
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

thanx for the reply,

ok, HA and DRS were already disabled... The boot error doesn't dissapear Smiley Sad

i am using iscsi, not sure what u mean by the lun is in shared mode but this config. worked before and nothing really changed ..

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi..

It seems that you have two vSwitches defined with a SC (vswif) in each of them....

If iSCSI is accessed using vswif2 and VC is connected to the host using vswif1, I would suspect the Netgear switch as iSCSI issues shouldn't disconnect the host from vCenter.. So it might be some commen factor like the Netgear switch..

Just my 2 cents..

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
Steefke
Contributor
Contributor

iscsi with readynas not supported,

configured NFS

solved.

0 Kudos
jshelly
Enthusiast